Question about Bush Tomatos

SouthernFarmer1984

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I bought some Bush Early Girls from Garden Trends which is owned by Harris Seeds Co, And honestly I don't know if I'm wrong or not but from what my mother has always told me 'bush' plants are short and bushy like a shrub you know? And they aren't suppose to grow over a foot. Well I took this pic today..
I'm having to stake all of my 'bush' early girls and my roma's. I called the company and asked them wth is going on? They told me these plants grow 2-3 ft, well mine are approaching 4-5 ft. So did I buy the wrong type or do they not make the short bushy plants anymore?
34842548_444427452647720_8202634923945754624_n.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have Early Girls every year but they are the standard indeterminate and the growing conditions must be very different from yours, SouthernFarmer. About the only thing I'm south of in the US is Alaska and the Canadian border :).

A few Bush Early Girls were in my garden about 12 years ago. They were indeed short plants. The fruit was very similar to what I usually have.

My guess is that your plants are all but finished growing as they look like they are loading up with fruit. Bulking up and ripening should be the end process for a determinant.

Steve

Latest posts