Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
is it too late to plant them here in south caorlina

i got this pack at walmart for .20 for the heck of it

my other question is it says vates non heading what does that mean

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
For .20 - Plant them, what do you have to lose? Non heading means it will be loose leaf just like Black Simpson Lettuce (just wont make a head but will grow individually)

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
is that the kind you buy at the grocery stores in the bag all cut up

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think it's too late....at all. Planted my, in the garden, on January 20th and they are VERY little, due to the cold weather "holding them back".......but they ARE growing.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would say they will probably bolt on you before you get any real production out of them. If nothing else you will get some seed for a fall crop.

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
oh crap pls explain bolt

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Year before last year, I planted "Georgia Southern" collards (store bought plants) and they didn't bolt until this past summer.

Bolting is sending up seed stalks, at which time the plants energy is concentrated on seed production, more so than plant production.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bolt means go to seed. A lot will depend on what kind of weather temperature wise and sunshine wise there is between now and say May 15. Hot April, they will probably bolt. But I would still plant them. You will get something, but it takes a lot of greens to make a mess. Once greens bolt they tend to get a bitter taste to them. I sowed some mustard greens about 10 days ago so I am hoping they give me a few greens and some seeds as well! Good luck! :)

Latest posts