Question About Flower Bulbs

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last fall, I bought some sacks of flower bulbs at Walmart. They were like 3 for $12 or something like that. I bought a sack of hyacinth bulbs, a sack of red & yellow striped tulip bulbs, and a sack of assorted color iris bulbs. I completely forgot about them & found them in the shed the other day. They are ALL sprouting, with about 1 inch sprouts on them. Is it too late to put them in the ground? I have a bed with daffodils and day lilies that has plenty of room in it and is where I was originally going to plant them anyway.

What should I do?

Edited To Add: I'm pretty new to flower gardening, especially bulb flowers.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Definitely plant them right away. The hyacinths have a chance of blooming. Unlikely the tulips will bloom. However, fertilize them and let the green growth continue until it dries up. The blooms may return next year on the tulips.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've done the same thing , and the tulips actually did bloom. I was amazed, because it seemed way too late. They overwintered and are coming up again this year.
I say go for it! There's nothing to lose.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree with Thistle, there's nothing to lose. I've even transplanted tulips once when buds were about to form and they didn't even skip a beat.

Mary

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
LOL I did the same thing with my Iris bulbs. :heThey were starting to sprout also, I took advantage and planted them all yesterday. I hope our bulbs live and bloom! :fl

Latest posts