Question about my trees

Cricket

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I brought my saplings in when we got the weird cold snap so they've been inside for about a week. Are they OK to just move back outside or do I need to set them outside for a few hours a day to let them readjust?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't recall where you are located or what might be coming next or what your daytime temperatures might be like.

my guess is that it makes the most difference if they were kept in a really warm location vs. being kept in a cooler one so if you moved them into a lot of warmth then the transition to colder may be better done more gradually, but then again, some saplings it probably won't matter much at all.

(go not to the elves for advice for they will say both yes and no and probably maybe...) :)

Cricket

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i don't recall where you are located or what might be coming next or what your daytime temperatures might be like.

my guess is that it makes the most difference if they were kept in a really warm location vs. being kept in a cooler one so if you moved them into a lot of warmth then the transition to colder may be better done more gradually, but then again, some saplings it probably won't matter much at all.

(go not to the elves for advice for they will say both yes and no and probably maybe...) :)
I'm In Indiana. They were kept in our laundry room so I don't think the temperature would be way crazy just wanted to keep them out of the snow and frost so brought them in. Seem to be back to our normal spring Temps.

Love a good Tolkien quote 😊

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm In Indiana. They were kept in our laundry room so I don't think the temperature would be way crazy just wanted to keep them out of the snow and frost so brought them in. Seem to be back to our normal spring Temps.

Love a good Tolkien quote 😊

good that they'll likely be ok then. :)

yes, not really an exact quote but close enough for mere mortal use... :)

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hate that transition time. Don't want the temps to hurt he precious leaves. Don't want the real sunlight to burn the leaves. Don't want the wind to damage their fragile bodies.

I think where you are you're in a good temp spot, but this is why nobody puts things outside until the second week of May.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd think it would depend upon the type of sapling, and how large they are. At this point in the season, any tree which is supposedly hardy in your zone should be OK outside. DW & I just planted a magnolia outside today. It had already been blooming in the nursery, and had few flowers left... but enough for us to see that it had flowers we like.

Cricket

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ooo that's nice!!! I love magnolias!! They are my Buckeyes. They've been doing pretty good so hopefully they will be ok lol

Latest posts