Question About Spinosad

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe Steve knows the answer to this, or anyone else is welcome to answer, too, of course. I sprayed my cole crops last evening with spinosad, then about 2 to 2.5 hours later, it started raining, and we got a hard rain. Does the spinosad wash off, or is it absorbed into the plant surface? I wonder if I need to spray it again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I think . . . that it is only necessary for the spinosad to be ingested.

If the bug is moving around and has the bacteria on it, I would guess that it will get into its digestive track. It isn't as effective (or, very effective, at all) against aphids. As I understand it, "sucking insects" aren't as likely to ingest the spinosad.

Here is the University of Connecticut (link): "Feeding stops within minutes and death occurs within 48 hours. To help prevent resistance to spinosad, the SpinTor label restricts use of the product to two or three consecutive applications or a maximum of three times in 21-30 days, depending upon the crop. . ."

They also say that there is only a one day-to-harvest requirement but that may only reflect its low toxicity level for humans.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I did notice that when I sprayed before, a couple of worms I could see reacted pretty strongly quite fast. I guess I better not spray anymore; don't want to create some frankenworms. Thanks for the quick response.

Latest posts