Question about the color of jalapenos

gumpsgirl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My jalapeno's are turning red. Is that normal?

Please forgive my stupidity here! I have never grown these before. :)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes,

When a jalapeno has reached maturity it is completely red. You pick the Jalapeno at varying stages of green to red. The jalapeno with the most scarring or little white lines on the skins are the hottest of all. I find it best to work with the smooth skinned green ones until you get a knack for the heat.

Wishing you luck, don't forget to make yourself a batch of Pico de Gallo.

Ron

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They will also continue to turn red after you have picked them. I have a basket of them on the counter right now and some of the ones I picked last week have turned red. I just put five of them in some salsa I made tonight. YUM!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sure, actually I like them a lot better when they are black or red, personally.

However if you want maximal production per plant it is best to pick them while they are still green -- as with any pepper, letting them start to color up reduces flower production and thus reduces the amount more fruit you're going to get off that plant.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you Pat :frow

This is my first year growing peppers & I didn't know that! :bow It also explains why when in the past when I buy them in a mixed packet there are always way more green ones than red. I noticed that when I didn't use them immediately they changed colour.

My peppers are just beginning to flower here in wet old England --- I need August to be solid sunshine & I will happily pay the water bill. :lol:

Have a good weekend everyone. I hope you get the weather you most want ;)

:rose Hattie :rose

gumpsgirl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This is great info. everyone!

I was actually told that I need to leave my jalapenos on the plant until fall so they could mature. I've been questioning that ever since I heard it, but thought there might be something to it and then I saw the peppers turning red! That really confused me!

I planted these so I could make some pepper jelly, so I guess it's time to start picking and canning then, huh?!?!

Thanks everyone! :)

Latest posts