Question on watering

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hope so... *shifty eyes* Almost every single one of our has sprouted already and we just put them in the ground on Saturday....
Think I should thin some out? Everything I read said to put them about 4-6" apart...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Think of thinning as doing a favor for the plants that have a chance to grow.

Think of thinnings as either veggies for the kitchen or as important contributions to the compost and garden fertility.

(It also helps to have laying hens as a taste panel ;).)

Steve

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
I post in 'beds' rather than rows, so I consider spacing on center. Yours may be a bit close, but if your soil is well prepared, I think they'll do fine - plus every seed doesn't germinate. Beans are pretty forgiving :)
I agree, actually you can get"fertilizer burn" if you over feed beans. I usually prepare my soil well, but not over rich, and let them do their thing.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yea, I think you should thin them to 6" on center. You'll get a better yield, believe it or not, from properly spaced plants.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Yea, I think you should thin them to 6" on center. You'll get a better yield, believe it or not, from properly spaced plants.
I'm not sure what that means. If I take one plant from between each one I keep would that be enough room? It would leave about 8 inches between a plant.

Latest posts