questions about composted saw dust

wvsheila

Leafing Out
Reaction score
HI . I have a question, if anyone can help me. I'm building a new raised bed and have an old sawmill a mile down the road, he told me I could have all the composted saw dust I could haul away. its as black as could be, but I've never used old sawdust what will I need to add to it and when??? I have chickens, bunnies, horses and goats So I have lots of manure but I have to haul and dig that by hand the saw dust will be hauled and dumped. Ps I'm planning this bed for strawberrys and rasberrys

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mostly what it will do is add organic matter to the soil (thus, better water retention, looser soil, happier microorganisms, etc). I would not hold my breath for it to provide a significant amount of N P or K, although of course it does have *some* of them as well as some micronutrients. Its main role AFAIK is as organic matter.

It may still need some extra N to finish breaking down, btw. Which would come from the N in your soil (temporarily) if you do not add any other N source such as chicken manure.

If you are concerned about the details of soil nutrients, I'd suggest waiting a couple weeks after you till it in and then doing a soil test (either a kit or send off to a lab).

Aged sawdust makes a great mulch, btw, as long as it's not put on so thick that it smothers air and rainfall out of the soil.

Congrats on finding a source of something so useful,

Pat

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It should be good for raspberries do to the acidicness of it. I am not sure how strawberries would like it though.