Questions About Purple Fountain Grass

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Purple Fountain Grass
Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'

7541eb.jpg

OldGal and I saw this stuff at Lowe's and thought it was lovely. It would look good in the poultry run and give them (particularly the ducks) something to hang out in since it grows 2-4 feet tall.

First Question: Most places that I look say it's an annual, (some say perennial) but it looks as if it produces a lot of seeds. How much trouble am I asking for if I save the seeds and grow my own?

Second Question: Is it toxic to birds. I searched on the internet and it says not to dogs and cats, but nothing about birds.

Third Question: And this one kinda ties in with question #1; It's outrageously expensive at about $19 for one large plant. Again, can I grow my own?

Any thought or hints would be appreciated. :bow

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oldguy, here in California it is used alot in landscaping. For us, it's a perenial and is also available in green, which I prefer. It is very easy to grow but everyone here just buys it at Home Depot where it's pretty cheap for a 1 gallon that grows big in one season.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This probably won't be too helpful...
Up here it's an annual and is used a lot in ornamental container gardening. I'm sure it would be perennial in your zone.
As to it's reseeding habits, I only know that even when it's allowed to go to seed and doesn't get cut down/ pulled out until spring, I've never seen seedlings. Of course Texas is a whole 'nother universe comparatively.I wouldn't think it would be hard at all to collect your own seed and grow it if you want.

I'm surprised at the cost, it's not rare, and even around here a gallon container is probably no more than $10.
Talk to somebody at a real nursery, they might even be able to tell if it's safe for birds.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree; it grows so fast, no need to buy a big plant unless you are wanting instant landscaping. I had it last year around where my chickens could get to it, and saw no ill-effects.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I brought my little pot in last winter and stuck it upstairs (stays cool up there but not freezing). It took a bit to get it growing again but it has tripled in size and I may try splitting it next year cause I'll bring it back in again. I was wondering about the seeds too.

Adambelmont321

Leafing Out
Reaction score
And I am feeling like buying it, any suggestions where I can buy it from?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I love this plant and need to know.
Is it really only an annual, zone 7?

I see Pampas grass all over and it comes back each year, but my purple grass dies and I hate it! It grows so fast and so pretty.
I need to know if I should cave and try another plant or what.
Thanks!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, there are ornamental Millets that look a lot like this...

Years ago I saved seed from Purple Majesty hybrid Millet and perfectly nice greenish/purple leaved ones grew. I'm not sure, but I think Millet is annual Penisetum.

Latest posts