Questions about romaine lettuce

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Yesterday I had a salad of romaine, green leaf (Grand Rapids), red leaf (Red Sails), & spinach...all from snipping outer leaves.

Sorry, couldn't resist the brag! :lol:
Whooohoooo! Love this time of year... salad crazed! hahaha

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
i_am2bz said:
Yesterday I had a salad of romaine, green leaf (Grand Rapids), red leaf (Red Sails), & spinach...all from snipping outer leaves.

Whooohoooo! Love this time of year... salad crazed! hahaha
Yeah...then when it's in the 90's every day for 3 months & you're DYING for a salad, all your lettuce has already bolted!! Aaargh! :/ :rolleyes:

MommaHawk

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:

Can't blame you for bragging. I'm telling everyone I can about how great my garden is doing this year! I ate a salad last night with my romain lettuce and loved it.

kimbyj

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello- I came across this post because I have been looking for that Romaine WITH the little spikes. My record keeping is ... not good and 2 years ago we had this great lettuce, it was like a romaine and it had the little spikes on the rib. It was hardy and did so well and lasted well into the summer. I've not been able to find it anywhere. Last year we tried one I thought it was but it was no where near as tasty or productive.
I know this is an old post but ya never know! Thanks for any help.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy Kimby! Welcome to the forum! :frow

Many seed companies like to carry the most tenderest varieties of Lettuce, so yea, looking for that variety with the heavy leaf veins might be a challenge.

About 10 years ago I grew some Romaine lettuce like that, did not much like it, so I promptly forgot it. It could well have been paris island.

I do recall it was from a store bought packet, Lakeland maybe?

There are some other Lettuces with other rugged texture characteristics. Deer Tongue. I want to try that one someday.

Latest posts