Questions about watermelons

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I am growing OrangeFlesh Tendersweet this year. I love the yellows over the reds but I never had an orange on!
I did Oranglo from Baker Creek last year, and the ones I got were delicious! I heard the tip about pruning the vines, but by the time I did it, it was too late to make a difference. I had a bunch of little melons that were never going to ripen. Also, you can make watermelon jelly if you have leftover melons. It was a little too sweet for me, but my nieces & nephew loved it!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never tried watermelon pickles or jelly...but I'll look into that! My chickens love the rinds, so I usually give it to them. They eat it down to just the skin!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah, my chickens loved it last year when i gave it to them on warm and hot days! also found it was a good way to keep them hydrated during transport without having to carry water in a container. the hard part was there was never enough to satisfy them! :p

someone mentioned they preferred the yellow watermelons over the red. is there a difference in taste? sweeter or just something different like the way they grow?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've always wondered how the nutrient content of the yellow/orange watermelons might differ from the red. As I understand it, doesn't color usually indicate particular vitamins? Just curious, does anybody know?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I mentioned the yellow. I *think* they taste sweet. But it is more likely a mental artifact from my childhood. Where a yellow melon was a tasty treat bought only on very special occasions.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
this year it is me against the cucurbits thanks for this info..keep em warm ..and lots of fert

I am thinking of starting half inside and half outside but wondering what you guys know about transplanting them?

I have heard they really do not like their roots messed with so was going to use peat pots?

Pringlays

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow im gone for a day and theres 16 posts awaiting me lol,thanks for all the info im gonna put it to good use and hopefully have a decent watermelon harvest,im only going to plant about 5-6 watermelon plants since I dont want them to take up the whole garden.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
journey11 said:
I've never tried watermelon pickles or jelly...but I'll look into that! My chickens love the rinds, so I usually give it to them. They eat it down to just the skin!
I'll get you the recipe..I made them for my eldest DD, and you have to put together a bag of spices and lemon slices that you boil before you can the rind. It smells... HEAVENLY!!!...even if you don't like the finished product.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
journey11 said:
I'll get you the recipe..I made them for my eldest DD, and you have to put together a bag of spices and lemon slices that you boil before you can the rind. It smells... HEAVENLY!!!...even if you don't like the finished product.
Could I get that recipe too, please??!! that sounds just wonderful!:throw

Latest posts