Questions about well water tests

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had a well drilled 2 months ago on our property. Its 108 feet deep with lots of water! We haven't hooked it up to the house yet because we wanted to get the water tested. I bought a kit from Lowes and we performed the tests. It came back positive for iron, copper and coliform bacteria. Does anyone have any experience regarding what we can do to make the water safe to drink and get rid of the iron so it doesnt ruin our appliances? We are going to get it professionally tested soon.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don’t know about the bacteria. Iron is common. You can put in a series of filters to take minerals out. We had sand, so I installed a filter to take out sand that is easy to clean, then a filter that takes out small stuff. Guessing you will also need a good water conditioner that should soften the water. Bacteria, I’m uneducated on.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd get it professionally tested before I did anything. Are you going through your health department, they might do it for free or very little cost. Some states do, some don't.

I personally don't have much faith in those do it yourself tests. I have not done a water test but I've tried a couple of different pH testers and once a sort of soils analysis test. Test the same sample twice and get two different results. That did not do a lot for my confidence. To me your water is too important to take a chance on.

Lots of water at 108'. Sounds good to me. An uncle drilled five wells before he hit water.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
108ft should have no surface contamination if done properly.

without knowing your area and many other factors i can't say much else. geology and details of your local area would be important.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Ridgerunner - follow through on getting the well professionally tested before going any further. You want to be sure the well is safe before hooking up to the house. Home water tests are much like home soil tests - inaccurate, and incomplete. A professional will be able to test for many more contaminants, knows allowable ranges, and can recommend appropriate remediation.

My well tested for "allowable" levels of arsenic & volatiles. Not being one to willfully ingest an "allowable" amount of toxins, I installed an RO system for drinking water. That's an investment I've never regretted, since the RO water tastes great, and also keeps DW's house plants happy. If you go that route, shell out a little extra for a larger holding tank, to handle high demand (like cooking or canning). Our daughter (who has city water) uses our water for drinking & cooking.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are calling the states department for private testing tomorrow. I sure hope it's safe tonuse in the house.
108ft should have no surface contamination if done properly.

without knowing your area and many other factors i can't say much else. geology and details of your local area would be important.
We are in north east Alabama on sand mountain. We are at the edge of town but there are lots of farms around us that grow corn and raise cattle and chickens. The guy who drilled the well has been doing it for over 40 years. He did hit a mud bank about 30 feet down I think.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree with @Ridgerunner - follow through on getting the well professionally tested before going any further. You want to be sure the well is safe before hooking up to the house. Home water tests are much like home soil tests - inaccurate, and incomplete. A professional will be able to test for many more contaminants, knows allowable ranges, and can recommend appropriate remediation.

My well tested for "allowable" levels of arsenic & volatiles. Not being one to willfully ingest an "allowable" amount of toxins, I installed an RO system for drinking water. That's an investment I've never regretted, since the RO water tastes great, and also keeps DW's house plants happy. If you go that route, shell out a little extra for a larger holding tank, to handle high demand (like cooking or canning). Our daughter (who has city water) uses our water for drinking & cooking.
I wonder if RO system takes out iron and copper? Thanks for the suggestion, we will look in to that as well.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd get it professionally tested before I did anything. Are you going through your health department, they might do it for free or very little cost. Some states do, some don't.

I personally don't have much faith in those do it yourself tests. I have not done a water test but I've tried a couple of different pH testers and once a sort of soils analysis test. Test the same sample twice and get two different results. That did not do a lot for my confidence. To me your water is too important to take a chance on.

Lots of water at 108'. Sounds good to me. An uncle drilled five wells before he hit water.
MY husband is calling today about the professional test. We felt lucky that he hit water on the first try. This mountain is supposed to have good water. My neighbor was on well water and she said it was great!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don’t know about the bacteria. Iron is common. You can put in a series of filters to take minerals out. We had sand, so I installed a filter to take out sand that is easy to clean, then a filter that takes out small stuff. Guessing you will also need a good water conditioner that should soften the water. Bacteria, I’m uneducated on.
Yeah we weren't expecting bacteria either. I'm just hoping and praying it was a false positive test.