Questions on growing peanuts?

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I live in new england (Zone 6) and I am thinking about growing peanuts next year. What type of peanuts would you reccomend? I want something that I can eat as well as make Peanut Butter with. Where do you buy raw peanuts to grow? Are peanuts an easy crop to grow?
Thank You in Advance. :)

EDITED for a typo. :lol:

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I can remember my grandmother growing them here in northern Tennessee and we would roast them on a cookie sheet on a low temp oven and eat them all winter. I have considered trying them also, but not sure. The soil is best sandy I think, at least not hard clay. Since it is a root crop, it needs loose soil. I think it takes a long growing season also. Would have to research before saying anything else. I have seen the seeds in the seed catalogs.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
there is really only one type of peanut that can be grown this far north. i believe it is the Virginia type. i got mine years ago from Park Seed and it appears they still have them on their site for sale. http://parkseed.com/product.aspx?p=05250 they will grow and produce pods but not a lot unless they have a long growing season and not too much rain.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Remember that peanuts need a very loose soil. That's why they are usually grown in sandy soil. The plants have an odd way of forming peanuts. They don't grow directly on the roots. As the plant matures it grows "pegs" from the stem and those pegs have to be able to penetrate the soil for the peanuts to form on. In hard soil they skitter across the top instead of digging in.

Latest posts