Questions on planting & care of Broccoli...

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi all..

So a while back (perhaps early November) I was at the local Armstrong Garden center (it's a chain garden store here in the So-Cal area) and bought some Broccoli among other plants (I also bought some varieties of leaf lettuce) -- all growing and ready to plant. So, I planted the plants in our front yard and they've been very happy with the heavy rain and whatnot we received a while back..

I do see the large leaves of the broccoli wilt a little on the very sunny days.. Are these plants perhaps not well suited to Summer growing when it can easily get into the 90's with lots of sun? I've never grown broccoli before but have these 4 plants that all have full heads (about 4-6" across) growing on them and would like to keep growing them to feed the family.. or start a sequenced crop of sorts to ensure we always have broccoli available -- perhaps start them 3-4 weeks apart..

Also, is there a way to only eat part of the head and will the plant generate more heads or is the one head about it for each plant?

I am very surprised at how easy they are to grow.. Even the bugs and rodents (skunks, possums, racoons) don't seem interested in any of them -- sure a few wholly leaves but not much beyond that..

Here's a pic of one of the broccoli.. Sorry if the pics are a little bit shakey/out of focus.. I guess that's what I get for using a phone camera!

7062_photo1.jpg

Here's a picture of the entire planter I've got filled with lettuce, citrus, broccoli, some herbs, and a lone strawberry plant..

7062_photo2.jpg

This planter is the ONLY sane thing going on in my entire yard (front & back).. Notice the plastic sheeting in the back of the 2nd photo.. There to control the weeds but the weeds are winning! Ugg! :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you'd better be harvesting that 1 head of broccoli very, very soon, Rick.

Most varieties of broccoli that I have grown have done a pretty good job growing lateral shoots after the center has been harvested. You haven't given your plants a whole lot of room and I am not familiar with growing a cool-season crop in your climate. Still, I'd expect it to have some nice lateral buds for you to enjoy.

In the heat of summer, a young broccoli plant may never develop buds. So, succession planting may not work for you. That would be a question to ask the locals: "How late in the season can I set out broccoli plants?"

With a large plant and continuing cool temperatures, you may have an extended season of buds with what you already have. You will need to judge for yourself when they are getting too small for you to bother with. Just stay with 'em and don't allow those yellow flowers to open on the plant.

Steve

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
In the heat of summer, a young broccoli plant may never develop buds.

Steve
At the risk of hijacking this thread, but not seeing the point of starting a whole new thread for one more broccoli question... ;)

...I grew broccoli from seed for the first time last summer...the plants got huge, but not one single solitary head on any of them! :he

So do you think that's a hot-weather issue? Should I have set them out earlier in the year? (zone 7b)

I would've been thrilled with Rick's solitary head! :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
2bz, broccoli is a cool weather plant- mine were producing well into November- here in zone 4. In your area, I would think you would be planting broccoli right about now- or soon. You would have great luck starting the seeds in a cold frame. By the time summer hits, you won't get any broccoli- or if you have a few stems, they will bolt and go to flower, fast. Give it another try- I think you will succeed if you start early! Happy Gardening!

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Gotcha! Guess that's why my broccoli did so well when I lived in VT...couldn't kill those things if I wanted to...down here in this hellish heat - nothing! ;)

I still have my seeds from last year, think I will start sprouting! Thanks lesa! :D

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In your part of the country grow all of the coles as a late fall and early Winter crop. Once established almost all of the coles can stand pretty heavy frosts. In fact some of them such as collards and kale are at their best after a couple of heavy frosts.

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hmm. One vote for starting early, one vote for starting late. Or is it a two-crop veggie, like spring lettuce & fall lettuce?

Sorry, Rick, I'm hijacking your thread after all! :/

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The way I read the comments are -- as long as it's not hot you can plant broccoli -- for my area (los angeles) that means a period of Sept to April give or take.. whether you count that as one long period or two is up to you.. ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, it is either winter garden or very early spring... just not hot summer! In zone 4, it doesn't get hot enough to matter. I plant early spring and continue to harvest until snowfall....

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have several comments from all I learned with Broccoli
1. You'll get a larger head the farther you separate the plants
2. Broccoli green can be eaten if it fails to set a head or you mistakenly thought it was a collard green and are quite yummy
3. I plant two crops. the first in Early Jan- Late December for placing in the garden in early spring. These I just really get a head and a small amount of side shoots before the heat sets in. I plant my second in fall. I start the seeds when it is still warm (September at the earliest) and harvest toward the end of Nov. Then I enjoy a long prolonged season of side shoots. I still have 5+ broccoli plants out in the garden now that are giving my side shoots. When it freezes here (and it does but just for a couple of days at a time) I cover them with some plastic that I got when I bought my mattress.
4. That romenesco variety from Baker creek stinks. It did nothing for me but had quite tasty leaves

Ok so I hope that was helpful.

Latest posts