Quiet day in the forum

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, I was researching the USDA's thinking on antioxidants.

I never know what TEG folks will be interested in. Also, there is considerable controversy around health claims about anything. I started to read a blog this week by a MD who decided it was best to begin attacking "alternative medicine." It just proved to be a little too caustic for me . . .

The USDA's ideas changed in a very short number of years. In 2007, they published an ORCA antioxidant list. In 2010, they removed that list. It would seem that that testing included some antioxidants which have shown no benefit to human health. Some antioxidants do but "lumping them" all together was misleading.

I am all for an antioxidant-rich diet but under the cold glare of scientific inquiry . . . . Seems like intuition should count for something.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know either.

But I do recall that in one of James Bonds' movies he was on a mission to rid the world of free radicals. Ask the receptionist!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
What does ORCA stand for?
According to my google search:

Orca is a brand of wet suits from New Zealand. . . . Orca is a free, open source, flexible, and extensible screen reader that provides access to graphical desktop environments. . . related to the Orca Gnome project. . . Orca is a California network for enhancing awareness of the Southern Resident Orca (killer whale ) . . . Orca.exe is a database table editor for creating and editing Windows Installer packages and merge modules. . . Your ORCA card works like cash or a pass, automatically tracking the value of different fares and transfers so you don't have to. . . But my best guess, considering the weather topic is ORCA = Ocean Research and Conservation Association.

Should have been doing dishes instead.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oops! As usual, I was emptying dishes!

Must have had a smudge on my glasses as well: not Orca (that was just me thinking about the whales, which was how I was remembering the acronym. Wrongly.) It is ORAC: oxygen radical absorbance capacity.

Seems that some antioxidants may not matter for human health. We have to pare them down rather than lump them together to gain a better understanding of them and their value.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
See? James Bond was way ahead of his time! Besides, at the end of that movie the receptionist he told that to becomes a Bond Girl!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I doubt if I'd know if I missed that movie or not, Marshall.

I was watching some Laurel & Hardy, today . . .

Horribly windy outdoors, I bet we had gusts to 50mph! I had trouble paying attention to Laurel & Hardy! And, when it looked like they were gonna climb into an airplane - I gave it up!

Steve

Latest posts