Quinoa

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since quinoa ( Keen wa ) is touted to be a complete food ( google it for added information and how to cook it) so we decided to try it about a week ago. I find that a 1/2 cup serving of cooked quinoa accompanied with any type of other food ( breakfast, lunch or dinner meal ) is very filling so I feel full . (I also find that I need to add some type of flavoring to help in the taste department). So much so that I don't eat anywhere as much as I used to, more like half after the third day. The resulting benefit is not only the added nutritional benefits, but that I have lost 5 lbs. in the past week without even trying. :celebrate

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, if only my eating was just hunger related! In my off season I visit the kitchen more often because it's between where I am and where I'm going. :confused:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have enough Quinoa seed to take over everyone here's gardens completely!

It's the Colorado variety, and I have it sorted as per color variation.

That Colorado Quinoa was easy to grow, about as easy as Amaranth. The seeds are about half the size of store bought.

If anyone wants some seeds for Colorado Quinoa, pm me your address and I'll send you some.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, if only my eating was just hunger related! In my off season I visit the kitchen more often because it's between where I am and where I'm going. :confused:

I find that I tend to eat more when I'm really stressed out. Like right now after just finding out that I have the years first 4H meeting this Friday and that I have a ton of schoolwork to complete before than.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We like quinoa a lot at our house, and sometimes we prepare it half quinoa, half rice, to add a little flavor. I will usually add a few "ice cubes" of chicken stock to the cooking liquid for more flavorful quinoa, too.

I planted it last fall! I'm not sure how its going to turn out...it seemed NOT RIGHT to be putting seeds out that late! I mean, i've planted garlic in the fall, but that's the only thing i've ever planted in the fall, so it just seemed weird!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heather, you should probably plant Quinoa right around your last frost date. That would maybe be around June 1st up there give or take?

And, it's probably not the greatest transplanter, but if you started some inside about the time you would tomatoes, maybe in peat pots, that would probably help ensure a good crop up there.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The directions indicated fall planting for my zone, i'm really curious what will happen. If nothing happens, i'll put more seed out this spring.

Latest posts