Quinoa

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted quinoa for the first time. I also have lambsquarter that pops up in my garden. I didn't realize they looked alike. Now I am sure I have some lambsquarter growing with my quinoa, but I can't tell them apart. I wouldn't mind but I don't want the lambsquarter to go to seed. How can I tell them apart, I don't want to pull up any of the quinoa. HELP!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can you possibly post a picture of the bed, from above, so I can see the leaves well? Does quinoa have a pinkish blush on the leaves like lambsquarters? I've never grown it before, yet (this year probably would have been perfect with the cool temps and high humidity).

Maybe wait 'til they bloom (and give the flower heads a good week or so to develop)? From what I've seen lambsquaters's flower heads don't have any color, they're completely green. Quinoa has colorful flowers. Just find the plants who's flower heads lack any color and cut them off near the base, with a knife (so as not to disturb your quinoa's roots).

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've have to check in the morning if they have a blush to them. I think they may though. I had let the lambsquarter grow because my animals love it. I was planning on letting them bloom and then try to tell them apart. I had no idea they looked identical. :barnie

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I want to plant quinoa also- it seems like a natural here in my mile-high mountain garden; but I have lots of lambsquarters too. I've been thinking of harvesting it for ourselves as well as the ducks.
One plus with planting in a strict grid pattern is that anything that does not come up in that specific grid position is almost certainly a weed.

Latest posts