Quotes and thoughts for the day

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Till today, it's still fascinating how much the TV series can inspire me.

Chef’s Table S2E2
It’s not necessary to use expensive ingredients. The luxury is in your hands, in your ability. This is luxury – the human capacity to transform something into emotions.

Star Trek: Strange New World S1E7

Don’t try to be smarter than the truth.

You know, all species put things into boxes. It’s like you either like this, or you’re that. And, sometimes we act a certain way to fit people’s expectations, but that’s not necessarily who we are.
I like thinking out of the box!
Screenshot_20220710-120449.png

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My own two takes on a popular aphorism,

"It's hard to make lemonade out of the lemons life gives you if it doesn't also give you some sugar and water."

"If life gives you lemons, it's probably telling you you are about to get scurvy."

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was reading about Oxalis, @Pulsegleaner . Went on to Oca to try to get an understanding of whether it would be reasonable for me to try them in the veggie garden.

One species of Oxalis is known as scurvy-grass sorrel (O. enneaphylla).

It grows in Patagonia and on the Falkland Islands, Wikipedia tells us. The sailors had that to eat to combat scurvy. Oxalis is a common weed around here and the one in that corner of the world sounds about the same size - tiny things. Tasty? I wonder. Probably, there was no choice as a way to take care of themselves.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, with oxalis it's always going to be sort of a trade off. Any benefit you get from the vitamin C content is offset by the risk of kidney damage from the Oxalic acid if you eat too much (same as actual sorrel). It'll work if you need Vitamin C, but there seem to be safter alternatives.

It's sort of related to why I think, if they could REALLY work out a way to make it shelf/refrigerator stable*, get the general public used to the different taste, and up production a LOT, Lichi juice would probably be better for most people than orange juice. It also has Vitamin C (in fact, it has four times as much as oranges) but DOESN'T have citric acid, so it's easier on the stomach, which is a big concern for people like me who get acid indigestion VERY easily (while I CAN use lemons and limes culinarily or in beverages, because they are diluted so much, most oranges are too acid for me to eat as is without severe pain. I'm pretty much limited to some of the sweeter types of mandarin and clementine, like the Dekapon (Sumo) whatever that other Japanese one that is like a Dekapon with seeds is called (begins with an "m", NOT minkan) REAL ushu minkans (i.e. the extremely tiny, nearly red kind they grow for canned mandaring orange slices. and so on (theoretically completely acid free ones like the sweet lemon, sweet lime and mango orange are edible by me, but with no sourness at all, I don't really like the taste.)

*They DO make bottled/boxed lichi juice, but it's usually either mostly apple juice with a bit of lichi for flavor, or loaded up with preservatives. On it's own, lichi juice ferments too fast to be really feasible as a grocery product, and it doesn't respond well to heat.

Latest posts