sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
images.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya think so?

I used to escape to the barn when there was company. We moved from one farm to another when I was 9, different town, different school. I would go out to the barn and talk to myself. I remember that even as I began to read books, real books - without the pictures! - I would go out and talk over the book while listening to what I had to say. My older brother teased me about it and I felt I had to stop ...

One important part of my adventures to the barn, past the other outbuilding and about 10 minutes from the backdoor of the house, was that there was kind of another world behind the barn. I could walk thru and venture out into it. Sometimes livestock would wander by. They looked familiar ... because, they were our livestock. I wonder if they felt, like I did - off on my own.

I could go over on the other side of the irrigation ditch into the clear areas between the backberry bushes. There was another farmer's field over the fence but there never seemed to be anybody out there. Just me, the border collie, displacing the quail, eating a melon I swiped from the garden ...

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we lived close to a small dairy, i never helped out much there as i was too young, but i spent a fair amount of time there. my older brothers helped out here or there until they got too old/sophisticated and started working for the family business instead. it is still there today as a wreck of a place, the barn is collapsed and/or gone, but the fields/farm are mostly intact. probably renting the land to grow corn/soybeans.

one important lesson to learn is to always make sure the hay is soft before jumping down into a pile of it. :) also helps to make sure all cats are not sleeping in there...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I found this little prayer on an Irish FB page, it's so beautiful

Dear Lord,
Give me a few friends
who will love me for what I am,
and keep ever burning
before my vagrant steps
the kindly light of hope...
And though I come not within sight
of the castle of my dreams,