Quotes and thoughts for the day

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering sometime in the evening if there had been school yesterday. I live near an elementary school, you'd think I'd be able to keep track of it :rolleyes:.

The thing was that there were so many neighbor kids out in their yards, each other yards, and in the road - it seemed like they had been overrunning the neighborhood all day, instead of just a few hours after school! They were still clustered under porch lights after dark!

You see, as of yesterday, the last of the snow disappeared from my yard! We had a record warm morning ! It was 43°f.

On this date several years ago, I have a memory of starting all sorts of seed. It probably didn't bother everyone but it was below zero that morning and I was too early to start "all sorts of seed!" Anyway, live and learn ... and, to mix my metaphors ... that was then, this is now ...

And here also is now and may be one reason kids are indoors a lot:

Today’s new homes are 1,000 square feet larger than in 1973, and the living space per person has doubled over last 40 years

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, add to that fewer children per family. You can live with one or two children sent to the children's section of the house, but 4, 5, 6, or more children can't be dealt with inside all day long. They -- and you -- need them outside.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Mary, how much do your love your house? ;)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
12241258_10153486910442261_6933116104287721182_n.jpg

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@ninnymary When we lived in Ocean Falls (the home of the rain people) back in the 60's practically every day was a rainy day, 172 inches a year. If the kids didn't play out in the rain there weren't many days they'd be outdoors, so rain hats, raincoats, puddle jumpers and gumboots were the dress code most days. Almost a ghost town now but back in the 60's over 3000 people lived there when the mill was still up and running.
Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can see the school playground. They just run.

At times, I feel a little twinge because of how some are dressed. No coat, it's freezing, the wind is blowing ... Holding hands, the little girls often seem somewhat possessive but it might be okay with both, the holder and holdee. Sometimes, a child will hide behind a tree but it usually looks okay, part of a game or playfulness, anyway.

As a kid, we would visit my aunt's home. The nearest relatives, they were about 3 hours away. Her 3 boys were quite a bit older than me. We had little in common and they tended to disappear into their neighborhood. Five people living in a house of about 8-900 sqft.

We lived in farm houses. NyBoy, we called them "ranches," because we had cattle. All sorts of room, inside and out. Even as an adult, I'm uncomfortable seeing kids play baseball, or even with a frisbee, in tiny front yards.

I'm a younger brother of only 2 sons. I identify with Sumi's poster above. DB lived for sports. At least, he went to school for them. He had to attend classes in the military for a high school diploma. (Surprised us by going on to college.)

I couldn't compete with him and resented comments from his former coaches suggesting that I should. Trailing, 3 years behind, I was so relieved to be free of following along after him. Free. And yet, I would compete - but, not in sports. And, it was kinda out of that resentment and not something I liked about myself. It needed tempering. Altho, a little self tolerance is a good thing. (Spoken as a person whose autoimmune responses have been a little outta wack, now and then ;).)

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
What?, you mean 6 children can't be inside all day on a rainy day? I must have missed that memo. :rolleyes:

Mary

I agree...as the youngest of 9, I can attest that you can "play" inside a small house with a lot of people in it. The games just usually have to be communal...which normally bring a sense of closeness, unless you have some super competitive sorts that ruin it all.

The threat at our house was this....if you don't have something to do, I'll GIVE you something to do. We found something to do....meaning, we found things to do that didn't involve messing up, tearing down or otherwise making our presence hugely known within the home.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, you remind me of my house growing up. My mom was a single mom raising 7 children in a 2 bedroom and sometimes 1 bedroom house. We had to behave and play quietly or else she would give us housework to do. Well of course we choose quiet play. I loved playing with my doll, doing puzzles, and reading.

Aftermidnight my 6 preschoolers love playing with special things, like finding treasure in our blue rice, on rainy days. That's also when we build forts with sheets, etc. Fortunately for us we don't having many rainy days. Or at least it usually doesn't rain during our outdoor time at 10:00am.

I'm also fortunate that my house is pretty roomy for 6 kids.

Mary

Latest posts