rabbits! - UPDATE: Ha!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As I have already whined about on another thread, I seem to be suffering from a bad case of hungry rabbits. Well okay probably just one hungry rabbit but boy is it hungry (we now have about 14" of snow on the ground plus drifts, and no, that is not normal for this area this time of year!).

It has reduced an Aronia chokeberry bush, of which I was extra fond because it's the first thing I planted when we moved here and because it's the first thing I see when I look out the bedroom window in the morning, to not much more than a cluster of gnawed-off stubs. Made a good start on several bridlewreath spireas, a buttonbush, and probably other things possibly including our young apple trees (haven't been out to look, as we just got back in town yesterday).

We do not normally have rabbits on our property, on account of an oversupply of coyotes, hawks, feral cats, speeding gravel trucks, etcetera. So I am entirely unprepared.

What the heck am I supposed to do to keep this rabbit from girdling or chopping down every small woody plant in the yard? With my luck I bet Mother Nature won't catch up with the darn critter til it's levelled everything. Do I cage at-risk plants, and if so, with what size mesh and how high? And what about things that are too spreading and arching to be able to cage, e.g. our other bridlewreath spireas. Short of measures requiring ammunition, is there anything else that you folks have found that helps?

Aaargh,

Pat

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In all seriousness, get a dog - I don't see one mentioned in your critter list. When I had my basset hound, I had no rabbit problem. Once she was gone :( they came back. I really need to get another doggie......

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
In all seriousness, get a dog - I don't see one mentioned in your critter list. When I had my basset hound, I had no rabbit problem. Once she was gone :( they came back. I really need to get another doggie......
Yup, thanks Ann, we will get a dog when the kids get past ear-pulling age (youngest is 7 months old today) and oldest paranoidest cat is no longer with us... but honestly, the rabbit apparently comes around dusk or dawn, and with the cold weather and living hard against a very busy fast rural road I don't see that we could leave a dog loose on rabbit duty anyhow. I like your solution, just can't do it.

Will call local co-op to price rabbit size live trap, but wouls prefer better solution...

Pat

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A good outdoor cat might help. I wonder if someone nearby has been poisoning the coyotes? My parent's neighbor did just that and before long their whole area was overrun with rabbits.

Good luck. I hate trapping animals, but sometimes it has to be done.

You might try some coyote urine. I know you can buy it, don't know if it'll work on rabbits, and can't imagine how it's collected, but it's a thought.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Reinbeau said:
Yup, thanks Ann, we will get a dog when the kids get past ear-pulling age (youngest is 7 months old today) and oldest paranoidest cat is no longer with us... but honestly, the rabbit apparently comes around dusk or dawn, and with the cold weather and living hard against a very busy fast rural road I don't see that we could leave a dog loose on rabbit duty anyhow. I like your solution, just can't do it.

Will call local co-op to price rabbit size live trap, but wouls prefer better solution...

Pat
Well, it isn't the loose dog that necessarily takes care of the wabbits, it's what falls loose out of the dog, if you catch my drift! :) Just the scent of the dog seems to keep them away. It worked here for quite a few months before they finally figured out she was gone.....

You still have little ones - how neat! If you get a puppy, of course, it's like having another child, so I well understand wanting to wait a bit for that little one to grow a bit! Enjoy :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
owl.jpg

I had the very good fortune to have an owl family in the neighbor's hay shed thru the early part of the growing season. Rabbit and vole problems were at a minimum!

My father, soon to be 90, wasted a good deal of time and effort (not to mention fresh vegetables and breakfast cereal) trying to trap a rabbit in his yard a couple of years ago. Then he got the border collie back from my brother. A trap may work better during the Winter.

Pat, I believe that "hardware cloth" is what is commonly used rather than chicken wire or something. And, what is wrong with ammunition? The guy at the gun store told me that 22 birdshot should work for a rabbit at 30 feet. Ah, that would be a problem - if you haven't seen 'em, how you goin' to get within 30 feet?

Could it be voles?

Steve

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Unfortunately some of us live in areas that don't allow shooting, so the shoot,shovel,shut-up advice can't be followed without breaking some laws.
smiley-gun1.gif

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
On the second night with the live trap set, I got him! Mr Rabbit is now about 3 miles away, in a brushy area, near a sheep farm (I figure they may do extra 'predator control' there, so it might be a better place than most to be a rabbit. I hope.)

The successful bait was very stale alfalfa cubes, left over from the horses last April when there was a week's gap between the last of the hay and the first really useful grazing. The rabbit must have been pretty hungry as *I* sure wouldn't have eaten those alfalfa cubes, they just smelled nothing-y. He was a very large muscular handsome creature though (or beautiful I suppose - no idea of the rabbit's gender). I bear him (or her) no ill will at all, I just don't want any more shrubs levelled!

Final score:
Rabbit: 3 entire bushes down to snow level
3 more bushes seriously damaged
2 more lightly nibbled
2 birches, which I don't care about since
they're dying anyhow, lost lower twigs

Me: no damage to young apple trees
and, caught 1 rabbit ;)

Pat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bravo Pat!

(Now how do I activate [or whatever] one of those dancing, applauding, cheering, etc., smilies? Oh, well!)

Congratulations, you did good!

Steve

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Bravo Pat!

(Now how do I activate [or whatever] one of those dancing, applauding, cheering, etc., smilies? Oh, well!)

Congratulations, you did good!

Steve
Yes, Congrats!

Steve, to the right of the reply box there's a Smilies [show] [hide] selection. Select Show and the smilies will magically appear :bouquet

Latest posts