rabbits! - UPDATE: Ha!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure! and then they end up on a page by themselves so I look like an idiot . . .

S'

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nah, you don't. You look like a gardener!
tools.gif

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something we have out here in the Wild West is the marmot. Actually, the ground hog is a marmot but here they grow really big (up to 20 pounds :/. Even tho' most of the hoary marmots (Marmota caligata) live in the mountains, in the northern part of their range, they are at lower and lower elevations. So . . . . I've had problems!!

Big fat squirrels that find it difficult getting over a flimsy fence. So that can help but don't make the fence too strong because they can climb. I've even seen them on TOP of buildings!

Then you've got to get the fence into the ground because they can DIG! Honestly, they'll find a way around, over or thru a fence eventually.

They will eat absolutely anything but seem slow to try something new. That means your kohlrabi, or whatever, may be safe for a season or 2. But, they can LEARN! So, once again, eventually my entire garden became a smorgasbord for the darn critters.

Fortunately, my veggie gardens are in more than one location. I'd even used the shovel to the head, shovel in the turf, and shut-up approach TWICE but it was like SSATT - Shoveling Sand Against The Tide - darn it!! And, the location where it was impossible to shoot had to be abandoned.

You can imagine that I was DISMAYED to have a marmot show up at my new veggie garden. There's quite a bit more to this story but this was a celebration of Pat's success! Suffice it to say that this marmot (and her boyfriend :barnie are now pushing up :dance 's in the Marmot Memorial Planter beside the door of my little greenhouse. HA!

Steve

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hear ya on the ground hogs (yikes, a 20 pounder :th). I forgot the other thing that will help - coyotes. When they were around here I had no ground hogs. Problem was some idiot a quarter mile behind me was feeding them :ep In a neighborhood filled with small children. What a maroon. So we had a very healthy pack going for awhile, that kept the smaller critters at bay, but they've gone now that there's no more free food.

sebrightlover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, it isn't the loose dog that necessarily takes care of the wabbits, it's what falls loose out of the dog, if you catch my drift! :) Just the scent of the dog seems to keep them away. It worked here for quite a few months before they finally figured out she was gone.....
Can ya tell that to the rabbits that play in my yard just out of reach of my siberian husky before spring comes? :mow

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sebrightlover said:
Well, it isn't the loose dog that necessarily takes care of the wabbits, it's what falls loose out of the dog, if you catch my drift! :) Just the scent of the dog seems to keep them away. It worked here for quite a few months before they finally figured out she was gone.....
Can ya tell that to the rabbits that play in my yard just out of reach of my siberian husky before spring comes? :mow
Well, let them go a bit further and make their deposits!

sebrightlover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm moving the sibe this spring and planting the garden right beside his toilet area (not in it though).

Maybe I'll let him go around the garden plot after it's tilled!

citygirlinthecountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The dang bunnies around here like to sashay around the backyard fence taunting the dogs. I swear the little suckers will get within about five feet of the maniacally barking dogs and mock them with a switch of their little fluffy tails. "LaLaLa, you can't get me... I'm going to munch away out here! HAHAHAHAHAHA"
They are currently eating my pansies to the ground. I'm so glad I spent weekends putting in a tasty buffet for the little snots.
Stupid bunnies...
:rant

Latest posts