Rabbits

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I started with the rabbits there were 5 dumped and one of them was pregnant and had 5 babies. Then, another neighbor dumped their pet rabbit named Snickers. Then, later another neighbor had a rabbit they did not want and it lived under my hutch, so I put it in when the weather got cold, and then a year ago a rabbit showed up in the yard and it was starting to snow, so she went in the hutch. Zoup the oldest rabbit died this year at the age of 9 and Lulu's sister Sunshine died at the age of 8 and Snickers died and he was 8. Lulu is now 8-1/2. This was a stressful thing for me and now I almost am going to miss them. The original ones were Flemish Giants. These 2 neighbor rabbits are smaller and totally different personality. I am not sure Lulu will make it to spring, but here are pictures of her. She knows her name is Lulu. The last picture is of her and her 5 babies.
21 Lulu 2.jpg
April 30 Lulu.jpg
Lulu 1.jpg
Lulu and her babies eating grass.jpg

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess what made it so stressful was not knowing how to take care of them and when something did go wrong, a vet trip is expensive and most vets do not know how to treat rabbits, and they fought. I could not put the females out in a pen together. It was just war the whole time. Zoup beat them all up and if I put Zoup back in the hutch, another female who be the boss, and I never even tried to put the males out in a pen together, but you can see the amount of rabbit manure a rabbit this size could produce.

Marie2020

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I once had a rabbit, I named Jessica most mornings I would be awakened by this little ball of fluff. One day after five years Jessica wasn't feeling so good so off to vets we went, the only problem this little love of mine had was that she wasn't a she but a he. I still miss him today, rabbits can be adorable

Marie2020

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I started with the rabbits there were 5 dumped and one of them was pregnant and had 5 babies. Then, another neighbor dumped their pet rabbit named Snickers. Then, later another neighbor had a rabbit they did not want and it lived under my hutch, so I put it in when the weather got cold, and then a year ago a rabbit showed up in the yard and it was starting to snow, so she went in the hutch. Zoup the oldest rabbit died this year at the age of 9 and Lulu's sister Sunshine died at the age of 8 and Snickers died and he was 8. Lulu is now 8-1/2. This was a stressful thing for me and now I almost am going to miss them. The original ones were Flemish Giants. These 2 neighbor rabbits are smaller and totally different personality. I am not sure Lulu will make it to spring, but here are pictures of her. She knows her name is Lulu. The last picture is of her and her 5 babies. View attachment 36919View attachment 36920View attachment 36921View attachment 36922
How kind are you. What a story :) they are all such lucky bunnies. I thought rabbits only survived six years and a possible five years in the wild. Thanks to you they have all had an amazingly happy and long life.
I know how much it hurts to lose them, but please console yourself on the knowledge of how much you have given these lovely creatures. I applaud you :love

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your story of Jessica waking you up in the morning, she/he must have been running loose in the house. After reading about rabbits when I got these, I started reading stories of rabbits living in the house and I saw a story of a rescue rabbit and the owner told this rabbit she had treats in her bowl. They were downstairs. The rabbit ran up the stairs to the bowl of treats. They are strange little animals and all different personalities. I did not turn these rabbits into pets. I just gave them a place to live. The oldest rabbit when she got mad whould get on her hind legs and kick at you and sounded like a cat hissing. They can be vicious lol.

Latest posts