Rain barrell

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We got one! Our town had a celebration of the river, and there was an auction of painted rainbarrels to raise money. It turns out there was a workshop to make them, and I signed my DH up. He made one and it is awesome. Now we just have to figure out where to put it.

We need new gutters--I suppose we should replace them first??!!

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
woohoo, way to go carol. I've given my rain garden program to the MGs three times now. including rain barrels of course

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
bluebird said:
We got one! Our town had a celebration of the river, and there was an auction of painted rainbarrels to raise money. It turns out there was a workshop to make them, and I signed my DH up. He made one and it is awesome. Now we just have to figure out where to put it.

We need new gutters--I suppose we should replace them first??!!
That's great! It hasn't rained here in a while, but when it does my barrell should be full again!!

chrissum

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have 3 that i purchased from Orschelins farm and home, they were originally 50 or 55 gal used to ship olives in from Greece, they came with a spigot so all I had to do was add an overflow valve and paint them, they came brick red. THey filled fast and were wonderful for all the trees I had planted. Last year, we had rain at least every 9 days so we had plenty of water, this year is starting out the same way. I had seen these barrels all over the world in my travels with the military, but way back as a kid the elderly lady across the gravel road used rain water for her garden and flowers and even to wash her hair! I believe plants like this water better than the water piped into our home!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

I had not seen this post until this morning. I am glad that chrissum bumped it up because I was feeling a bit perplexed about my newest find.

I went to the feed store down the road and she had rainbarrels for sale for $60. These are just as chrissum describes, there is a label imprinted on the red plastic that is from Greece.

My other half looked at me like I had lost my mind. I wasn't sure where it was coming from, but he asked questions like "are you sure this would be a priority?". What kind of question is that? This is a rainbarrel! So, I can only assume that his reaction was because $60 for a plastic barrel is too too much.

So, again, thank you chissum for bumping this up; as I can see even making one by hand will cost roughly $50. I think I did good. :):)

I am pleased and that is all that matters. I utilize tons of water and it rarely rains here, and I have always dreamed that one day I would be able to capture that rain when and if it does come. Of course there is one more expense, LOL :rolleyes: I haven't any gutters. LOL

Here is the picture of my new rainbarrel. I am so proud!

51d2yx.jpg

I would like to see other folks' barrels. I would especially like to see how those other plastic ones were painted. I like the red, but it is a bit dark for "terra cotta".

Here is the link to the company that is carrying these, I am assuming that my feedstore gets a discounted/wholesale price, because I paid exactly what this company is asking for except with them I would have to pay shipping. There was a sticker to this company on my barrel.
http://www.waterritesys.com/

chrissum

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey! That is exactly like mine!:thumbsup
I really like mine and think you will like them too! If you decide you want to paint yours, or any other plastic barrell, I used a spray paint called KRYLON Fusion for plastic. It adheres really well, i did however get mine blown down the field during a very windy rain storm this past winter, i take mine down during the winter, so they required a little touch up painting. Good luck w/yours! I think they are worth what we pay for them! Did you look at any of the big box stores for barrels? or farm and home type stores?

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My grandmother had a rain barrel in her garden. It was catching the rain from her garden shed. It had no cover. In those days in Germany, most of the folks had a rain barrel for their gardens. They didn' have covers and you had to dip the water out with a bucket. Some put goldfish in to keep the mosquito population down.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while, and this is a bit belated, but here is mine. The paint job was done by spraying a base coat, then holding up various leaves and spraying over them. IMO it would have looked much better in green hues, but I already had black and blue and no money to buy green paint.

Before:
DSC03318.jpg

After:
DSC03390-1.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like the leaf design!

I just have to copy that, now I just have to go out and find some fun leaves to use. Perhaps some Sycamore Leaves.

Too fun. That is so creative and it is amazing how wonderful it looks all painted. I think that makes the rainbarrel special and unique in the garden.

Thanks for sharing that GVinSC.

Ron

Latest posts