rain barrels

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would like to set up a couple of rain barrels this year. We have a HUGE roof to gather water from but it is all metal roof. Will that be a problem?

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It sounds like it would be even better than shingled roofs, which lose chunks of material into the water.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is it painted metal, or galvanized? There are some issues with using water in acid-rain regions that has come from galvanized roofing (leaches potentially-toxic amounts of some metals out of the galvanization -- it's not recommended for drinking water, I really don't know one way or the other about using it for the garden, although of course the water off the roof is *already* going *somewhere* anyhow :p) Not saying flat-out don't do it, but if you do have a galvanized roof and low-pH rain you should at least research the subject more and make up your own mind.

If it is painted metal it should be pretty ok from a plant standpoint. They say that some painted metal roofing has mildewcides etc in it, but I've never actually heard of anyone having a problem with water caught off it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
when in doubt ask your local extention service
It's galvanized metal...I think the extension office is a good idea. Maybe i can check it with my new Ph tester too! lol

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hooray for metal roofs!!! (They keep my husband employed.)

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Hooray for metal roofs!!! (They keep my husband employed.)
Too bad he isn't closer. We just had the back section of the shop re-done. It's about 24' x 100'

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
metal roofs are much safer for rain collection then shingled or roller roofing roofs. The tar used in them can leach some pretty nasty stuff. Check with your local ag office or even a local conservation group they can tell you a lot of details for your area. What do you plan on using your rain collection for? This may also help give you an idea of what type of collection system you are looking for.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just got a gutter and rain barrel for my birthday yesterday! A great hubby...he knows what what we like!:weee

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nightshade said:
metal roofs are much safer for rain collection then shingled or roller roofing roofs. The tar used in them can leach some pretty nasty stuff. Check with your local ag office or even a local conservation group they can tell you a lot of details for your area. What do you plan on using your rain collection for? This may also help give you an idea of what type of collection system you are looking for.
Veggies mostly.

Latest posts