rain barrels

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sparks said:
I just got a gutter and rain barrel for my birthday yesterday! A great hubby...he knows what what we like!:weee
happy birthday and congratulations

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you are concerned about your rain ph run a simple water test on it from you local hardware store or ask at your local ag office if you should be concerned they are usually a great help.

I would run a drip hose system for veggies off your barrel(s). They are really simple to set up and simpler to use. I would also suggest that you toss a few gold fish in your barrel,( just make sure you leave enough water in it for them) to deal with the mosquitoes problem that seems so many rain barrels. It was a tip that I heard over on byc and it seems to work great. Also be sure to put the barrel up on blocks high enough to get your pressure to run the drip line. I found two concrete blocks high seems to be about right for me.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
nightshade said:
If you are concerned about your rain ph run a simple water test on it from you local hardware store or ask at your local ag office if you should be concerned they are usually a great help.

I would run a drip hose system for veggies off your barrel(s). They are really simple to set up and simpler to use. I would also suggest that you toss a few gold fish in your barrel,( just make sure you leave enough water in it for them) to deal with the mosquitoes problem that seems so many rain barrels. It was a tip that I heard over on byc and it seems to work great. Also be sure to put the barrel up on blocks high enough to get your pressure to run the drip line. I found two concrete blocks high seems to be about right for me.
Thanks for the tips I hope to have a rain barrel system this year

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
http://home.comcast.net/~leavesdance/rainbarrels/safety.html

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that you're better off collecting water from a metal roof than an asphalt one. The comment about getting a water test done is a good one. Then you don't have anything to worry about.

Also, I keep a pretty fine screen on top of my barrel, where the water enters, and it keeps both grit and mosquitos out of my barrel. And I make sure to empty it each week. It's pretty amazing how fast it fills up with a good soaking rain.

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Do y'all have any suggestions where to find a cheap safe barrell? I've been using 5 gallon buckets, which is better than nothing, but I would like to be able to get more water, I'm just on a limited budget.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would just recommend not drinking the rainwater and it sounds like that is not your intention. Using it to water plants should be ok . . . whether or not you feel comfortable using it on veggies is your call. I have heard that there is not much information on whether galvanized metal (in contact with water) causes problems with soil/plants.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Blue skys -- our locally owned hardware store sells food grade plastic "rain" barrels fairly cheap. You might ask around for large food grade barrels. Some of ours were originally used to hold Coca cola concentrate. They smelled for a year or so. :p

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
blue skys said:
Do y'all have any suggestions where to find a cheap safe barrell? I've been using 5 gallon buckets, which is better than nothing, but I would like to be able to get more water, I'm just on a limited budget.
I plan to use RUbbermaid garbage cans for rain barrels, its fairly easy to install a spigot and put screen over the top.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
blue skys said:
I'm not sure if they have Orscheln's where you are, but it's a farm store around here. I got 2 fully set up rain barrels from them last year for $30 each! That was waaaay cheaper than any others I saw. Maybe Tractor Supply carries them that cheap, too?

ETA: I'm finally "Attractive to Bees"!!! Yay!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
ETA: I'm finally "Attractive to Bees"!!! Yay!!!!
Aww.... long as you are attractive to us that's all that matters! LOL

P.s. - I find rain barrels on Craigslist all the time for $30-$40

Latest posts