Rains in CA....

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yes! I think it's the right amount as long as it continues. Too much and we get flooding and landslides. We are getting some tonight and hopefully again next week. On Thursday, the kids and I went for a walk looking for puddles. We found some and a couple of trees with alot of leaves on the ground with beautiful fall colors! It was fun just kicking those leaves around.

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Raining cats n dogs here, been doing so for about a week. The lake is rising 6 inches or more a day!

Continuing all rain dances!

Ha yayayahhh...Hikanananaaah! Ha yayayaaah...Hikanananaaah!

Low on the digital hi lo the last week was 35.7. Must've barely touched that one night because usually the past few mornings I'm looking at 45. Hi on it is 56.2.

Rain gauge broke last winter but my 5 gallon bucket is full which was empty last week.

I think the drought is on its way to being over, but I can tell you, it won't be over until Lake Pillsbury hits 104% capacity, and the powers that be don't usually raise the flood gates until February 1st on our dam. (Scott Dam is a miniature version of Boulder Dam and was built a few years before it, and its design was new in 1920, so its engineering was practice before building the much much larger Boulder Dam. In 1957 the flood gates were added on top of Scott Dam in order to increase the water supply and flood control capabilities. The powers that be are based on a flood control pool managed by the army corps of engineers, and the water supply pool is managed by a complex of several counties' and state Water Boards.) Since Lake Pillsbury is the top reservoir of 2 watersheds, Eel and Russian rivers, the percent of full on March first for this lake is a good indication of drought. Lake Mendocino and Lake Sonoma are also good indicators, but Lake Sonoma's water supply is also determined by releases for Salmon runs, and is generally kept above 70 percent. Right now I don't know Lake Mendocino's level, but the release to the Russian river from the Van Arsdale diversion tunnel usually keeps Lake Mendocini's percentage of capacity not too different from Lake Pillsbury's capacities.

Complicated isn't it.

Continue rain dancing!

Meantime, I had to stop working outside because I got sopping wet.

When ya pray for rain don't complain about the mud...

LOL!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, be careful driving around in SF! I saw a news clip of a big sinkhole in the street, maybe you should toss an extension ladder in your car....or a grappling hook....

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I saw a picture of that sink hole. I think it would still cost you a pretty penny if you wanted to buy it!

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary that is an excellent comment about real estate prices in the bay area, San Francisco, and much of California in general.

The idea that a sinkhole in San Francisco, even a tenth of an acre in size, would still sell for more than 200 gorgeous acres in Montana is not at all far fetched.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I found a hole in California ..

. do you think I could bring it up here and ..

. trade it for some acres in Montana?

Steve
:fl