Rainy day pictures

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron that is cool how nice things have grown!
Can you give a time frame as to help show the growth rate and such?
I know I'm a pain. just thought it would help to see how long it took you to make this great garden.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It was all dirt (aside from that nasty coop), six years ago!

I added the fence about 4 years ago, the Pergola about 3 years ago..

I guess I can sit a bit now ! LOL :th

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron, it's amazing what you were able to create from the New Mexico sand. My mother was able to do the same when she lived in Lovington. I remember as a little girl always working my butt off in her veggie garden. I have never tasted a carrot as good as those we grew when I was little....

I have a question about the railroad ties. Are yours treated with creosote? If they are, have you noticed any negative effects from using them in your flowerbeds? I ask because we have several very large, very heavy ties that used to line our driveway. Now they are just stacked to the side. I have never used them because I was told the creosote from them would contaminate the ground or soil used in the flowerbed, thus killing whatever I'm trying to grow. Anyway, just wondering what your experience has been with them....

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What a transformation! I love your lattice fence, mine is an ugly chain link. I have questions, but I have to run - I'm having lunch at my parents in a couple of hours.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Broke,

My railroad ties were quite old but some did show signs of having very well kept oil/creosote on them. The smell was especially strong when I was cutting and fitting them.

I had also heard not to use them, but considering I knew I would not be using them on veggies but only flowers I went ahead and got this free material.

As you can see, things are just growing without any problems. Daylilies are butted right up to the timbers.

There was one bed that gave me trouble to grow in, but it gave me trouble long before I had ties there. I swear something was suspended in the soil, and even went as far as removing all the soil and replacing it. Finally this year I got some things to take in that spot, but it is still not right.

This property has seen a ton of herbicides (prior to Ron), so I imagine there are pockets of nastiness under the soil.

Not much help, but I would say go for it and on the inner portion of the bed just attach some plastic sheeting, tack it on and drap it down into the soil, then fill the bed up with soil and this way there will be no leaching from the timbers.

Ron

Latest posts