raised bed gardening

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
WOW! Cat and HiD ... beautiful gardens! .. and yards!! Thanks for sharing them!
Ladyhawke, your miracle certainly is proof... awesome... and so healthy!

I would think a tall raised bed would be wonderful for low crops or maybe vines, they would spill over the sides ... ? You could maybe stack pallets inside and line with plastic, a layer of course material and holes for drainage... ? Might be a bit of an issue working out the right drainage ... :hu

In colder areas I would think the soil in a raised bed would warm faster... and maybe help with my Spring muck problem... I must think about this!
It makes sense to have so much control over the soil. My soil is not good for root crops... I will check this out for carrots and beets! Thanks!

And thanks again for sharing all your wonderful ideas and tips ... :love

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some raised beds, with wooden edges. They do look really nice, out in the yard. But, in my large veggie garden, I just do raised rows. They work out really well. I just bring the dirt into mounds and plant on top of them. The aisles are created when the dirt is moved to the mound... We had so much rain this year, many of the gardeners around here, lost most of their gardens. Since mine were raised mounds, the drainage worked out great. The aisles might have been flooded, but the plants were out of the stream! I do run drip hoses on top of the mounds, just in case it gets dry. Did not turn on the water once, last summer! This is pretty simple, looks neat and is easy to add compost to. Makes weeding very easy. The mounds are fairly loose dirt and the aisles can be weeded with a hoe or shovel...Counting the days till spring!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
lesa said:
I have some raised beds, with wooden edges. They do look really nice, out in the yard. But, in my large veggie garden, I just do raised rows. They work out really well. I just bring the dirt into mounds and plant on top of them. The aisles are created when the dirt is moved to the mound...
Do you have any directions and pictures? Thanks! :pop

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
5947_winter-1.jpg

5947_rows.jpg

It is kind of hard to see the rows in the photos- but I think you can get the idea...The dirt where the veggies are growing is quite loose and the aisles get hard as rock. Now that it is winter, I bring out the chicken poop and spread it into a little trench on the top of the row and will stir it in come spring.

19Dawn76

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. I love looking at other folks gardens.

How deep do you think the raised beds would have to be if they were just on legs. A foot? Two feet?

The more I think about it I don t see hows that guy made beds out of pallets and had them 4 feet deep. Surely they were just raised that high.

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have a 8" and 16" raised bed. The 16" was filled with straw and compost and didn't even reach 8" but I plan on just filling it with compost as much as possible. I just put the 6" to rest due to no sun on that side of house this time of year and play in the other till spring. The 16" raised bed has benches around it for me to rest on. I'd post pictures but I got a new computer for christmas and don't have them loaded yet! Hope all have a great holidays!

P.S. Great pictures and ideas!!
P.S.S. I loaded the photos on mypersonal page! Only the small raised bed available.:/

RAY2310

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to forum. My wife and I have used raised beds for gardening for several years now. After the beds are built and filled it is so much less work than a traditional garden. I ran water supply to each bed and we use soaker tube to water. Worked graet this summer. Here is some pictures.

p1010006.jpg

Strawberry and asparagus beds
0628092.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ray, your gardens look so neat and tidy. Very lovely! Is that a chicken coop in the photo- or a garden shed?? Beautiful yard! Counting the days till spring!