Raised bed pics

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice bed jktrahan. I assume you will be putting some kind of frost cloth over the pvc? Then you'll have a covered wagon theme to your garden! I looked at your other pix, love that trellis over the gate. Will it have a vine growing up it? And very interesting looking lemons too!

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I prefer a narrower raised bed myself, that way you can easily reach the center of the bed from both side. Here is a picture of my 4 foot by 12 foot raised bed.
7846_new_garden_and_chickens_002.jpg

jktrahan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Nice bed jktrahan. I assume you will be putting some kind of frost cloth over the pvc? Then you'll have a covered wagon theme to your garden! I looked at your other pix, love that trellis over the gate. Will it have a vine growing up it? And very interesting looking lemons too!
Yeap, I covered with 3 mil plastic, http://themtrahans.com/wordpress/?p=459

I added another 12' bed across the back of the garden and planted corn today. I'll add another 12' bed across the other half of the back next weekend along with some other beds and then wait a few more weeks to plant the second crop of corn.

For the trellis I want to build it out a little and add benches on each side and then plant 'scarlet runner beans' if i can find some. Their flowers are awsome.

The lemons are Panderosa lemons and they get huge, larger than a softball.

Thanks for lookin

jktrahan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
beavis said:
Hey jktrahan:

I saw your homemade flock blocks on your blog.

Do you have a method and/or recipe for making those?
Still working on an official recipe, so far ingredients are:

hen scratch
grit
oyster shell
bran
banana
raisin

still working on the binder as well...

check out the link on backyardchickens.com

jktrahan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
beavis said:
I'll have to try that recipe, thanks...

WHEW!

Almost 250 square feet of raised beds planted or ready for spring planting! The children's garden started, and fruit trees blooming. Check it all out here:http://harmonyvalleyfarms.wordpress.com/
Hey Beavis, great blog. I used the straw method over the winter and it worked great. I used it to cover my plants to protect against frost, but also noticed and it kept the weeds down. I don't know why I never thought of using it before?

My chickens and dog also love it as you mentioned yours do, ha

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
jktrahan said:
beavis said:
I'll have to try that recipe, thanks...

WHEW!

Almost 250 square feet of raised beds planted or ready for spring planting! The children's garden started, and fruit trees blooming. Check it all out here:http://harmonyvalleyfarms.wordpress.com/
Hey Beavis, great blog. I used the straw method over the winter and it worked great. I used it to cover my plants to protect against frost, but also noticed and it kept the weeds down. I don't know why I never thought of using it before?

My chickens and dog also love it as you mentioned yours do, ha
Thanks for the kudos, I like your blog site too.....

I am thinking of getting somewhere around 10 bales of straw and spreading it all around the areas that surround my raised beds, before the spring and summer weeds get a good start. Straw is about $7.50 a bale here, but I figure I will save quite a bit of my weeding labor down the road.

epitman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
this is my garden a little raised and all brand new im planting the right side today
7827_02231109261.jpg

planting the rest in 2 weeks :woot

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ours is good and planted, and new raised bed area going in in the next 2 weeks! :D

5842_img_6550.jpg

Latest posts