Raised Beds

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have the raised bed that my mother had made full of strawberries and it is looking good for next year. We are also working on building a new one for next year and I added the first raking of leaves for the base of the lasagna gardening bed this morning. I am sure there will be lots more leaves, deep bed of straw and chicken manure from the chicken house, some old sod from under the barn we are building, and may even have to buy a load of soil. I have a friend whose daughter has horse manure plus bedding but not sure we can get there to get any.

8537_2011-11-02_11-28-48_838.jpg

8537_2011-11-02_11-27-52_237.jpg

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I am really proud of our strawberries! I hope they are not too thick come next spring. I could have put half as many plants in there and they would have been fine, but oh well, we learn from doing. In the 80's I grew strawberries to sell (second job). I fought weeds, grass, and about destroyed my knees and back. One day I picked over 30 gallon by myself, daylight till dark. It kept clothes on our backs and food on our plates that year. SO, I am hoping by having them this thick and in the raised bed they will be easier to care for.