Raised Garden... Almost Done! (Updated Photos 3/5/09)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Argh... due to rocks in the ground, my husband shifted the fence yesterday to get it up from where I put the layout. Sadly, he is now pulling up half the fence as it has gone over into the neighbor's property! Grrrrrrrrr

So after I asked him to double check the property line with his walking string this morning.... we have to cut down the fenced area by at least 3 ft in to make sure we stay on our side with room to spare.

Killing me that most of yesterday's work has been wasted. :/

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've been in and out working on it for 2 hours. Instead of moving the whole fence, we cut down the fence by 3 feet and just moved the one side in. I've lost some garden space, but I'm ok with that. I just have to move my corn section somewhere else.

Now of course my neighbors are like, don't worry about it, its no problem. They'd love to get some fresh veggies. VEry sweet, but we don't want issue later on down the road, or issues for them if they sell their house. It was completely our fault.

Of course they'll get veggies from us, I already bring them hand me down clothes for their daughter and cookies when I have extra!

Keeping in good with the neighbors! ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok totally finished the fence being up... half the gate is up and the other half should be finished tonight.

Also decided to try a few spinach and carrot seeds and see how they do this early. I should have the spinach harvested in about 40 days if all works out well. Then I can freeze most of it, eat some fresh and get ready to put my tomatoes in!

Oh, and through in the pictures of the chickens and ducks having a snack.

chickens_ducks.jpg

chickens_ducks2.jpg

sunbury chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
VFEM,
Everything looks great! I wish we lived closer to each other,we could help each other with gardening.You are truly a die hard gardener.The pond is beautiful too....:)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thanks sunbury! this is my first year gardening actually. I've been dreaming of it for a long time though, and did some of my mom's gardens for her, but this is my very first do it myself on my property type of thing... LOVE IT!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We finished constructing the gate and it looks GREAT!

Didn't do anything this weekend, too cold. However, hubby decided to goto Habitat for Humanity on Saturday. They sell donated items to raise money, and he bought 65 2x4x7's for $50. Planning on adding on the last 2 raised beds in the garden for my cucumbers, cantaloupe and rotating space for my red and white radishes.

I have also decided to plant a 'sunflower' garden in a raised bed along the fence of the veggie garden. That will be for the kids to plant their sunflowers. I did buy dwarf varieties and none that get over 4-5' being max. I don't want to block like from the veggie garden. But I'd like to have something eye pleasing there.

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Is there a site to find the Habitat for Humanity stores???...

When I build my coop, it would be nice to save monies, since when I go back home, there probably isn't a job to go home too....

Such is the way life is, these days....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Athena said:
Is there a site to find the Habitat for Humanity stores???...

When I build my coop, it would be nice to save monies, since when I go back home, there probably isn't a job to go home too....

Such is the way life is, these days....
This is the Wake County NC Restore site:
http://www.habitatwake.org/restore/shop.html#merchandise

If you search that website, you may be able to find how to find sites for other areas of the country!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I've kinda forgot to update this post... however, I have gotten stuff on the fenced garden done so I wanted to share.

We finished the gate, and even planted some stuff. I have Spinach up so far.

We did have freezing temps last night and my husband covered everything in plastic by creating some wood cages. We're hoping to reuse them next winter and keep some cold weather things going through the coldest of southern winters :)

plants18.jpg

garden1.jpg

garden2.jpg

Still need to fill the 3rd raised bed (5'x5') and lay the landscaping fabric for the pea gravel.... also I'm going to line the base of the fence with chicken wire to keep the chickens/bunnies and stuff OUT.