Raised Garden... Almost Done! (Updated Photos 3/5/09)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
These beds are 12". I have the bottoms covered in chicken wire to help keep gophers out which is my real concern here. The beds are on a nice small slope... so I've had great drainage so far!

Reaction score
I am new to this site. I came here from BYC. I love your beds and your coop. I am going to make both this spring. I was wondering if the wood was a lot easier to use for you beds. I was thinking about bricks or rocks, but I am new to making raised beds. I was also wondering if you would not mind telling me more about your chicken coop. Thanks

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Both Chicken coop and raised beds we used recycled give away wood we found on Craigslist from several people. What we used for the raised beds was old decking boards. So the are 1"x6"s.

The coop was my husband creation... I know I've got the step by step on my coop page on BYC.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=14084

The only things we bought for it were hardward, roofing shingles (the sold them individually on clearance at Home Depot so we had no left overs), the vinyl flooring was clearance, and the siding we paid for. Never spent over $100 for it.

The raised beds were very simple. 5x3 for 2 of them and 5x5 for the one we just put in. The fencing I bought used off of Craigslist for $300. I have some of that fence up at the end of my driveway... and I have 3 panels left we're going to create some nice trellis for some floors in the front. That was worth every penny.

I saw someone else on here is doing raised beds with bricks... so you can really do them with ANYTHING! :D

BTW: :welcome

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, my hands are bleeding from working on the garden today. I got all the landscape fabric down today... got a few splinters and my poor fingers are killing me from the landscape staples!!! ARGH!

raised_garden4.jpg

raised_garden5.jpg

raised_garden6.jpg

But look at how well my spinach and stuff is doing.

raised_garden7.jpg

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
everything is looking good.!! you and I both have been real busy.. :) It is a lot of work setting up gardens .. I am totally hoping that it wont be so hard next year LOL

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
everything is looking good.!! you and I both have been real busy.. :) It is a lot of work setting up gardens .. I am totally hoping that it wont be so hard next year LOL
LOL... I keep saying, the fun part of planting is next... and then I won't have to do all this every year so its OK! But my fingers disagree.

My husband and I are doing a potato cage in the back right corner in a floating tub and thats the last little extra I want. Saturday he's getting my gravel (I can't put the daughter in the truck to get it today) and then I'll get some mulch next week and call it DONE!

As you can see I couldn't wait for it to be finished to plant my spinach, carrots, radishes, and lettuce. You can't see it but my carrots finally started coming up, I have about 6 sprouts... so I planted another bunch of seeds so I can have some going during the first harvest. I was sure I was going to fail with carrots.

Latest posts