Raised Garden Project - just started!

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll have you know, this is all vfem's fault:p

After seeing her current raised bed project, I really started rethinking some abandoned raised beds I have next to the hoophouse.

I had three half-arsed beds to start with, spaced too close together and with weak drip irrigation installed. Hard to tell from the first picture which is my starting point, but the area between the two beds was also a bed, I just stole the wood and moved it to another area for a different raised bed last year.

The three raised beds only had a foot of walkway in between beds, very unacceptable to work in.

So today, I combined the three raised beds into two, and left three feet of walkway in between them.

SO the beds are looking good already after a half day of work but the big news is I am going to make these my two raised beds where I can grow veggies in a PROTECTED ZONE.

I will be installing a perimeter fence of poultry wire and eventually a roof top as well to keep out: children, dog, chickens ,house finches and mockingbirds from my bounty.

here was my starting point today:
P1010303.jpg

And what I accomplished in a few hours, moving the beds, and shoveling the dirt back into the new beds.

P1010305.jpg

Next up will be building the perimeter fence. It will be six feet tall, made of 2x4's and 1x4's and poultry netting. 10 feet long on the short sides, 28 feet long on the longer sides, with a gate and eventually a roof, also of poultry netting.

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What a great project!! Yes, I would have divided that amount of space into two beds vs. three. The soil looks like black powder....you should be able to grow anything in that!! I'm looking forward in seeing how it progresses along. :thumbsup

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh dear!

Consider us even with all the TP tubs I have filling my kitchen and bathroom. ;)

Its looking great though, putting me to shame with my tiny boxes :p

So what have to decided will be planted there? :watering

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Those look great and so close to the greenhouse. :D Beavis, is that lagre trellis in the backgrond made of cattle panels as well? I love the height.

You know that's one thing about watching everyone here as there gardens progress, it really get me moving. I love trying to keep up with you all!!!!

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That large trellis is made of 2x4 lumber and is my Hop trellis.

The white lines is clothesline threaded from the top to the bottom of the trellis.

I planted Hop two years ago and the 1st year they did OK, and last year not so good.

I will probably be replacing the rhizomes this year if I can find some or try some other vining crop...perhaps pole beans?

Hops just don't do so well through our hot and dry Summers.

We had a storm system move in last night and its supposed to rain all day, might delay my progress a bit.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hops huh? You making beer? I saw hops growing in Southern Bavaria once. Did not know enough to pay attention. I was very young.

Yeah the weather is a bummer here as well. I was hoping to get the plastic o my cold frame.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's a great project! I love my raised beds. Make sure you include space for a table and chairs so you can relax amongst your plants. Our raised beds make a sort of outdoor room, and we really enjoy it during the summer:

img_1801.jpg

Phyllis

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SewingDiva said:
That's a great project! I love my raised beds. Make sure you include space for a table and chairs so you can relax amongst your plants. Our raised beds make a sort of outdoor room, and we really enjoy it during the summer:

http://greenuniverse.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/img_1801.jpg

Phyllis
That is AMAZING!!!!!!!

My husband is now all like... why don't we do that around the firepit!!! Someone slow the man down. HAHAHA

Looks like you put a lot of love into that. :D

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
SewingDiva said:

http://greenuniverse.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/img_1801.jpg

Phyllis
My husband is now all like... why don't we do that around the firepit!!! Someone slow the man down. HAHAHA
Well not that Im trying to enable you or anything ;) but this project was easily one of the most gratifying of the various home improvement projects we've done over the years. My husband built the beds from Trex (the composite deck material) and we had our landscaper install the pavers. A firepit is something I'd like to have for colder weather to extend when we can use this area.

This years phase is to install a more attractive fence in front of the chain link fence in the background, which is a state highway fence.
:)
Phllis

Latest posts