Ralph Lauren's Westchester House

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

yeah... Mom loves 'em, we planted 30 of them one season but they all rotted/died from our soil/climate within a few years. the wild roses survive in the nearby woods, but we haven't gotten any to transplant. and, well, now i'm busy enough with other things that plants with thorns aren't high on my list of things to encourage...

rainey

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We have a few in the front and backyards. They grow very easily here without much at all in the way of attention. I think the lack of moisture eliminates a lot of the diseases they can be subject to. Still, a few for cut flowers seem obligatory. ...and, really, very nice.

I'm totally with you on the aversion to thorns, flower bug. A cane can be in the compost pile for ages so that you can't even see it anymore but still end up with a thorn sticking out of your finger. HATE that! Hate bougainvillea for the same reason but at least roses have much prettier colors to select from than the gaudy bougainvilleas.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
many years ago one of the roses i grew (at the other family home where i grew up) was a variety of orange and it was super extra thorny. like a rose with an attitude problem. great color, don't remember the scent being notable.

Latest posts