Range wars

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
As part of our learning about life in early America (history) I would host a family meal one evening where we all ate wild game. My sister usually provided squirrel, rabbit, and pheasant, but I've had parents contribute bear, bison, moose, alligator, snake, and lion (among the things I can remember).
It seems there is a mail order meat market down ?Texas? way that deals in all these and more.
We always had a great time sharing with our families what we'd learned about life in earliest America.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red what a great idea, I bet your childern still remember those meals. I was a little surprized at the Mt. Lion, but I guess early Americans where always 1 step from hunger. Waste not want not. What was Thanksgiving like at your house ?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red what a great idea, I bet your childern still remember those meals. I was a little surprized at the Mt. Lion, but I guess early Americans where always 1 step from hunger. Waste not want not. What was Thanksgiving like at your house ?

Oops, I guess I wasn't totally clear. My school children and I would put on a wild game dinner each fall, inviting their families to join us. Part of making history come alive. In a rural, hunting community there are plenty of parents who offer wild game as well.

Thanksgiving is planned with as many home grown foods as possible. My goal is to have a meal someday with everything on the table raised or grown here on my property. It is close family and fewer foods than I remember in my youth. I see no reason for 5 veggie and 6 dessert choices. We have plenty of turkey, and fix'ns so no one goes away hungry, but fewer choices mean less calorie intake and less leftovers.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@ninnymary basically i do have an interesting life and lots of eclectic friends who will try almost anything once and are glad to share. i think if you accept people for who and where they are they will accept you like you are too. and while i am a hard core carnivore i do like my veggies too. ever had ramps or dandelions or hunted mushrooms. the world is full of wonder.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@goatgurl, I have tried to grow ramps. So far I've not been successful in getting them started here. I never could get past the lawn aspect of dandelions, although, I picked a batch every spring for Great Grandma Minta. Spring couldn't officially be here until she'd had her "mess-o-greens". Since I almost died from eating mushrooms (long and funny story) I seldom eat them from the wild although we "hunted" a grocery bag of morels last spring.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could train them. Just like raising homing pigeons. Blow a whistle or something they can hear, then feed them inside their enclosure and up they go for the night. Safe and sound. Start out with the noise and food in the enclosure so they make the connection. Then start making them go farther and farther for their food when they hear the whistle but they always get fed I died the enclosure. Next thing you know "toot toot" and they will come barreling down the yard to get fed. It's Pavlov 101 molding/shaping behavior.

Guineas are supposed to be good eats too.

If it was up to me the peacocks would be pets. Sell the feathers to crafters and let the grands enjoy Grandma's beautiful birds. A trio can't eat that much.

Both of these would have permanent structures close to their house as I could get them. Right next to the hogs.

Let them out go scratch up the leaves in the woods and help scratch up your compost pile.
Guineas are great for dinner. Noisy beyond belief! If neighbors have a sun porch, they will see it as their God given right to perch there and make noise. They HATE snow. Will not leave shed to go into snow. Can be abusive to chickens.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once again I am up at the wee hours "talking" in my head to the neighbors, attorney, and the court. I am working on my Inquiry Questions for the Mr., having finished the packet of questions regarding what the Mrs. knew, did, and said regarding the boundary lines.

My personal timeline sets today, Wednesday the 29th, as the day I get their questions and my answers in the mail, although, I have another week in the 30 days I was given to reply.

This continues to be far more stressful than I would have expected. I did get DH's answers to all the questions, but I don't want to give them to the court. DH didn't understand what I was asking and responded with comments about his father and how DH couldn't remember property lines drawn when he was a child. Not at all related to the problem at hand. In fact, I don't want DH questioned at all. I'm not sure if he would help us or the other side, but I'm not ready for the rest of the world to watch this wonderful man be humiliated publicly because of his current health problem.

Well, 'nough venting. I'd better get the last of my questions written.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Smart Red :hugs Following and keeping fingers, toes and eyes crossed that all will be resolved soon and without too much more hassle and headaches.

Latest posts