Rats, Rats, Rats!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think you can get Just One Bite in CA. They won't ship it there even if you order it online.
Not positive about the shipping, but I think that's how it works with outlawed chemicals.
I think you're right. I once checked on a poison that someone here recommended and I couldn't get it.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you're right. I once checked on a poison that someone here recommended and I couldn't get it.

Mary
Mary ... if that is the case, take your photos of the tree dammage to your County Ag. Extention office and ask for warfarin treated grain ( dyed blue ) . They sell it by the pound. They may not sell it to you if you do not have a farm/ ranch, just to let you know. I got it at the Fresno , Cal. Ag. Extention Office near the County Fair Grounds.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
They are ALL terriers or, "Rat Terriers." Makes sense. I saw a video recently and some people provide a service where they bring the dogs to YOU. They said that the dogs train themselves. Once bitten by a rat it angers them and they attack the neck of the rat and throttle it to death, then move on to the next one. They are fearless and make good small home guard dogs bc they don't trust strangers and will make a lot of noise. They are also not afraid to go down holes looking for rats. I haven't seen any rats since last Fall, BUT I have seen two cats carry off rats, so maybe they got rid of them for me.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
anyone near you keep mink? i've seen someone in the south that has a few he trains to catch & kill rats & uses a terrier to help with the process. the mink will crawl into areas the dog couldn't/wouldn't & flushes them out & the dog will be there to catch the rats as they run from the mink. if the mink gets to the rat before the dog the guy lets the mink keep the 'prize'.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seems if the rats are not living on your property like in a garage or under a building, then poisoning them would not stop them from still coming in your yard, eating plants and maybe finding some poison.What about electric fence shock thing on the fence, under the fence and on the trees, around boxes where things are planted. It might not kill them, but would stop them from taking a bite of tree.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where we used to live in the SF Bay area, rats were very prevalent. They lived in the trees - old trees. We had to slowly poison them periodically, but it was worrisome as the cats could have eaten their carcasses.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe the Bay Area could figure into the recovery program for the endangered ..

. Black-footed Ferret!

Shoot. If they can wrestle down a Prairie Dog they should be able to take out the rats! (Of course, Mary's chickens would need to be locked in a steel safe overnight.)

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
By poisoning them, I am hoping to just manage the numbers. I think I might be making a little headway because I've noticed they have stopped eating the cilantro, beets, and Meyer lemon tree. The fig tree is also down to only 2 bites compared to 4. I will continue to set the traps and the poison out. Neighbors 2 blocks away have no problem. :\

Mary

Latest posts