1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Featured Thread - Mints.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Rats, Rats, Rats!

Discussion in 'Diseases & Pests' started by ninnymary, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Mar 3, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

For the last 2 years I've noticed that rats had chewed every one of my apples. In addition this year, they have caused a lot more damage. They have gone after my Violette De Bordeaux fig tree and a new Dwarf Meyer lemon tree. They also ate 2 big parsley plants. They started on my lime tree but luckily they didn't chew that up much and then abandoned it.

After all season long, there seems to be some good news. The parsley has been growing and they have left it alone. The Meyer has tiny new growth that hasn't been touched in several weeks. Each morning though there are 2 new bites on that poor little fig tree. :( There has been much more chewing on it since these pictures were taken.

I need to hear from you all to see if my fig tree will survive losing so much bark. I'm not sure it will fruit this year because a lot of the tips where the nodes were are gone.

What do you think? Will my fig make it? Will it produce fruit this year? Should I think of replacing it and keeping the new one in a pot on my deck until my problem is gone or minimized?

We have tried everything. Traps both the old fashioned kind and electrical zapping ones, poisons, and lately Bonide Rat Magic. I've talked to Vector our county control pest and they didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. As a last resort we are thinking of getting a feral cat though neither my husband nor I are fond of them. We will be taking to someone from a feral cat organization to answer all of our questions.

2. Mar 3, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

3. Mar 3, 2017
    Carol Dee

Carol Dee Garden Master

4. Mar 3, 2017
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

You need one of these:

[​IMG]

Maybe a couple of these:

[​IMG]

I have both and no rats that I know of ... yet. I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble with the rats. Surely, the city has some program to deal with these if they are becoming a serious pest for home owners.

Steve

Carol Dee likes this.
  5. Mar 3, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Sorry Mary they did a number on your tree. If barks not completey chewed all around should live. Not many cats will take on a rat mice yes, much better off with a ratting type dog. Jack Russell prefect rat killing machine.

6. Mar 3, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

If they are not in your home, they don't care if they eat your vegetable garden.

Mary

7. Mar 3, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Rats come out at night. You can't have a small dog out because raccoons will get it.

Mary

8. Mar 3, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

I would bet on the Jack Russell and I had a adult raccoon, they are powerful.

9. Mar 3, 2017
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

Adult coon will chew him up so you will have vet bills.....plus dog really needs to be trained to kill. Inexperienced dog against a coon, not good.

10. Mar 3, 2017
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

I have heard that you can take yellow fly bait, mix it with coke, end of coons. Mind you, that is what I've heard..... ;). Might even work on rats. Cheaper to feed rats than pay for a cat. Plus cat won't stay home.

If you give coons that mixture, be ready to dispose of coon carcasses. They may not get 5'. Or so I've been told....