re-cycled, and a Clever idea.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Personally, I know HEChicken is on to something good here. Not for every trip to the commode, but certainly for the "mellow" ones. Have you seen the size of toilet paper lately? I have an old (much older) roll that is 1/2 inch wider, has a smaller center roll, and is almost too big to fit in my holder to dispense tissue properly.

These new rolls are supposed to be 2x's and 3x's the size of a 'normal' roll and are way smaller than my old roll. Recycling old clothes to toilet wipes, a small pail of bleachy water, and a weekly wash sound extremely sensible.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone remember cloth diapers? We used them on ours. Those used to be the standard for all babies needs, not just the mellow trips. I'm not going to mention it to my wife, she might do it, but I could easily see something like this for the private "master" bathroom but not the more-public guest bathroom. Rip a 100% cotton tee shirt into pieces and keep a diaper pail with water and maybe BIZ. I doubt that would smell bad at all.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to ask. I know a lot of you make your own pots from newspaper and yogurt cups. I have always had bad luck with such things. Doesn't the paper and cardboard mold? I find even the purchased peat pots and Moo pots mold and get slimy.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some times gotten some of that white "airy" kind of mold on my peat pots too Cat. I think having a little more aggressive air circulation helped slow it down, if not totally eliminate it.

I've used the t.p. rolls, and they were okay, but I guess I must not have been wild about them because I haven't repeated it.

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Does anyone remember cloth diapers? We used them on ours. Those used to be the standard for all babies needs, not just the mellow trips. I'm not going to mention it to my wife, she might do it, but I could easily see something like this for the private "master" bathroom but not the more-public guest bathroom. Rip a 100% cotton tee shirt into pieces and keep a diaper pail with water and maybe BIZ. I doubt that would smell bad at all.
You got it! Except what I did was go to the dollar store and buy a few packs of micro-fiber clothes. (All my cut up clothing items are in use as cleaning rags.) The microfiber cloths are about the size of a washcloth and came in packs of 2 or 3 for $1. I keep those in the bathroom, use one for a day, put it in the hamper and grab a clean one. Oh, and yeah, I did exaggerate a little and only use these for more "mellow" bathroom trips. And, I do keep regular tp in the guest bathroom. Still, switching to cloth dramatically cut down the amount of tp I buy and use and I believe it is easier on our lagoon as well. And, as Ridgerunner pointed out, it is no different than using cloth diapers (which I did use on my babies).

I have to ask. I know a lot of you make your own pots from newspaper and yogurt cups. I have always had bad luck with such things. Doesn't the paper and cardboard mold? I find even the purchased peat pots and Moo pots mold and get slimy.
I have never had an issue with mold on my newspaper pots. Not sure what the difference might be other than the relative humidity wherever you live?

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well...I refuse to flush TP.....except when I am out in a public restroom. Then there is basically no choice but to flush paper.
I also used cloth diapers on my 3 kiddos, back in the 80's. Maybe I would consider buying a pack or 2 of cloth diapers, cutting them down and serging the edges.
As it is, I recycle DH's barely worn athletic socks for showering. I serge soap bar quarters up in the toes, making like a soap in washcloth thing. Use in the shower, (no slippery soap on the floor then), dispose in trashcan when soap is gone from sock! Works wonderfully! I wish I had done that when my kids were little.