Read any interesting gardening books lately?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
...'cuz I havent, and could use some recommendations about what to try to get via interlibrary loan :)

Since I guess it would be rude to start this without offering any picks of my own, I'll say that two interesting/entertaining books I've read in the past year are The 20-minute Gardener by Marty Asher (does not exactly live up to title, but is very funny indeed and not entirely devoid of good advice) and Gardening for the Faint of Heart by Robin Wheeler (aimed at beginners, but very encouraging and sensible, and not without good advice for those who are *not* faint of heart or beginners, either).

My all time favorite book is probably Tracy DiSabato-Aust's The Well-Tended Perennial Garden, which in addition to some good advice on bed preparation and perennial plant spp is mostly a trove of ideas about all sorts of terrifically useful purposes that can be served by different schemes of deadheading (not just for prolonging bloom...).

But I've long since read those and need something else :p What do YOU particularly like or rely on?

Pat

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm working on The Way We Garden Now. Not far enough in to really say how I like it. It's kind of set up in different projects. So far I like the writing style anyway.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been going over my Month-By-Month Gardening in Louisiana by Dan gill - I reference that book a lot, but I have a ton of gardening books.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Really?! How neat! I bought it when I first moved on my one acre. I knew some about flower gardening, but this book really helped on when I should be doing the correct things.

Txchikngardners

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Pat - sorry to hijack your post! I don't have a recommendation because I only use the one book - (and my journals from previous years) ..sorry :idunno maybe you could see if they make this book for your area? Authors Dale Groom and Dan Gill from Cool Springs Press

Southern: We bought our 5 acres about 5 years ago and I found this book the next year at the annual book fair at work. It has a prominent position by my favorite chair so I can read and re-read what I should be doing :tools

Brenda

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nah, don't care about 'thread hijacking', talk away :)

Thanks for the input, looking forward to more... surely I'm not the ONLY person here who uses wintertime to raid their library? ;)

Pat

mamaspider

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ok, i know this is an old thread, but I just got a couple of books for my birthday...

one of which is Four Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from your home garden all year long by Eliot Coleman. I thought based on the title he was going to say something like, "if you live in Florida" or "get a huge greenhouse", but actually, he lives in maine, and does most of his winter gardening in cold frames. I haven't finished it yet, but so far it's been an interesting lesson in succession planting, and in how few world vegetables i actually know!:lol:

jean

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love Carrots Love Tomatoes, but not the revised edition. The original from the 70's is what i have. Never knew why the peppers my friend planted on her porch were so small...you cant plant them with tomatoes. Its all about companion planting set up in alphabetical listing.

Latest posts