Real Cooking in the Microwave

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, right now, I can only think of baked potatoes and squash. Reheating or boiling some water - this is the extent of regular microwave use in our kitchen.

My attempt at using it for making pear butter is not likely to be repeated. The flavor is fine and it did set up kinda okay with the addition of pectin but I shouldn't have had to do that!

I'm very inclined to slip my slightly-undercooked omlet or scrambled eggs in the machine but don't much care for eggs scrambled and cooked solely in the microwave.

Do you use a microwave for any first to last cooking?

Steve
who seems to remember trying a microwave for a casserole once or twice

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bacon. I have baked it and everything else but its easier and neater in a micro. And eggs. Drop the power to 40% or less for a couple of minutes covered with wax paper in a small buttery bowl and you come out with that main ingredient for a McMuffin. You have some canadian bacon and Thomas English muffins and cheddar too.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used the microwave heavily every day. I will use the microwave to prepare many ingredients that I need to stir-fry first, such as broccoli, carrots, potatoes, and leftover rice (need to be heated before making fried rice).

I also need it to help me heat many things, milk, bread, sandwich, etc.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bacon. I have baked it and everything else but its easier and neater in a micro. And eggs. Drop the power to 40% or less for a couple of minutes covered with wax paper in a small buttery bowl and you come out with that main ingredient for a McMuffin. You have some canadian bacon and Thomas English muffins and cheddar too.
Sounds so good; I have to get some new bacon to try your method!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Corn on the cob if it does not have corn ear worms. Go to the garden and get fresh corn. Strip off most of the outer husks but leave enough husks to cover the corn kernels. Pop in the microwave for one minute, turn it over and nuke it again for one minute. Mileage may vary depending on the wattage of your machine. Carefully remove the husks and silk it. Be careful, it will be hot.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Corn on the cob if it does not have corn ear worms. Go to the garden and get fresh corn. Strip off most of the outer husks but leave enough husks to cover the corn kernels. Pop in the microwave for one minute, turn it over and nuke it again for one minute. Mileage may vary depending on the wattage of your machine. Carefully remove the husks and silk it. Be careful, it will be hot.
I leave the husks fully on and make sure that the husk has never been opened. For my preferences I nuke it for 3 minutes, let rest for one minute to avoid getting scalded when the husk is first opened.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You know, right now, I can only think of baked potatoes and squash. Reheating or boiling some water - this is the extent of regular microwave use in our kitchen.

My attempt at using it for making pear butter is not likely to be repeated. The flavor is fine and it did set up kinda okay with the addition of pectin but I shouldn't have had to do that!

I'm very inclined to slip my slightly-undercooked omlet or scrambled eggs in the machine but don't much care for eggs scrambled and cooked solely in the microwave.

Do you use a microwave for any first to last cooking?

Steve
who seems to remember trying a microwave for a casserole once or twice
This is the one actual recipe I have for a dish made in the microwave.

Cheesy Green Beans & Potatoes

1 medium potato, washed
paprika
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can of french cut green beans, drained
medium cheddar cheese
1 tbsp butter
salt
pepper

Cut potato into eighths and place in bottom of large microwave safe bowl. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika. Add the butter sliced thinly. Grate or cut pieces of cheddar cheese and place on top of potatoes. Place bowl in microwave and heat on high for 2 - 3 minutes.

Remove bowl from microwave and cover potato mixture with the french cut green beans. Cover with grated or cut pieces of cheddar cheese. Return to microwave and heat on high for 2 minutes.

Will serve 2.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I have cooked bacon in the machine, @Dirtmechanic . Not often because something else is to be cooked in a pan and the bacon fat is used. (Trying to limit bacon in the diet ;). My grandmother used to keep a skillet of fat sitting on the stove day after day :oops:.)

@Phaedra Geiermann , I never thought of microwaving veggies before stir-frying. That makes sense, especially for larger portions!

Nor, have I thought of using the microwave for corn. @Ridgerunner . Maybe because I'm always disappointed and thinking that I can't have the water boiling before I go out to pull the ears off the plants. I haven't grown my sweet corn at home in about 35 years - pre-microwave! Sniff

@R2elk , it makes sense to use potatoes in the machine. It does a good job with baking them. Other ingredients with the potatoes should benefit. I wonder about stuffed squash.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Old fashioned oat meal. 1.33 minutes. Then after sitting for a minute give it 55 seconds.

Agree on bacon-Use a microwave pan & corn on cob.

Poach egg-50-55 seconds depending on strength. 1 egg to 1/2 cup of water.

Soften potato before slicing and frying.

Grits.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soften potato before slicing and frying
That might fit with my family's approach to "Cottage Fries."

We boil the potatoes for a short time and then drain, before they go in the frying pan.

Steve

Latest posts