Really Burpee?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen said:
So I ordered a bunch of heirloom tomato seeds and a couple pepper seeds from Burpee two weeks ago. I got them in the mail and there are barely ANYTHING in the packets. I paid almost $4 a piece for this? Then I went to our local hardware store to pick up some stuff for the seeds and lo-and-behold there is a giant display of Burpee seed packets. I go up to the display to compare prices and there was a almost a $2.50 difference!!!! :somad And it seemed like there were way more seeds in each packet. They didn't have some of the varieties that I purchased online but still, that is insane! Then to humor myself, I flipped the packet over to see the "date packaged for season" and they were marked for the 2009 growing season! Our local hardware store usually doesn't carry Burpee seeds so they got the seeds this year. I will not be purchasing from Burpee again unless I have a terrific turn out with my tomatoes :tongue
I have found all seed companies will make good on products that do not satisfy. I keep track of all my orders, save all e-mails and ask for refunds on seed that does not germinate or empty seed packets.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think the catalog prices at Burpee and a few others have gotten out of hand, but then they are in the business of making money. I only buy their seeds at the big box stores which have them discounted by a lot. Otherwise I am very happy with ordering seeds from Parkseed.com and Pinetree Gardens in Maine Superseeds.com . Already got my pinetree order, finishing up the one to Park today.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had mediocre results with Parks seeds last year. Some of the seeds I received were dated for the previous year. Not happy. This year I ordered from Stokes Seeds. I got great customer service, quick delivery and so far great results. I recommend Stokes to any of you who order seeds from catalogues.
Kathie :)

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My friend had the same problem, He called them and they send him few more packages free. Burpee need to do better than that !!!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was looking at Burpee seeds in our local Lowes store, thinking about buying some mixed morning glory seeds. I picked out a pack and felt it to see how full it was. It only had ONE seed in it! (Morning glory seeds are big; you can feel them pretty well through the pack.) Needless to say, I didn't buy that. As far as the hardware store selling out of date seeds: Some seed companies give retailers a choice of either buying the seeds and rack outright, or selling them on consignment. If you buy the whole rack, you get a lot better mark-up on the individual packs. If you take them on consignment, you have to send the left overs back around July 15 or so. Maybe that store just got the rack of seeds mixed up, or dragged them out of the basement thinking no one would notice...??:/

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have to tekll you that this year I have had the BEST germination rates from seeds I bought in Paris (there are like 400 seeds in their packets!) and seeds from Lake Valley. My Baker Creek seeds have been hit and miss with germination. Osborne seeds have done well with probably 85% germination with Johnny's coming in close to that.

Certain seed prices have to do with who is manufacturing them and nonavailability. Example: OG Green Chard $23 an OUNCE! That is around 500 seeds!!!!! No one must have grown it this last season!

As a seed producer I gotta say, we make doodly squat and the big companies are making the bucks! That's why we are only growing for ourselves giving our excess to the public.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I had ONE measley acre of land I would most definitely and certainly make my own seed company!

I would have tons of varieties too, but only a few packets of each to sell.

FIVE acres, and I could really do it right.

TEN acres and it'd be even better! But I'd probably need a wife to help with the paperwork and orders by then...

I would specialize in hard to get varieties, and probably seed saver's starter packets for a dollar a packet of 20 seeds, or something like that......still wouldn't make a living...

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
If I had ONE measley acre of land I would most definitely and certainly make my own seed company!

I would have tons of varieties too, but only a few packets of each to sell.

FIVE acres, and I could really do it right.

TEN acres and it'd be even better! But I'd probably need a wife to help with the paperwork and orders by then...

I would specialize in hard to get varieties, and probably seed saver's starter packets for a dollar a packet of 20 seeds, or something like that......still wouldn't make a living...
That will be awsome to start your own company !! Good Luck !! :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It won't happen.
Soon as I ever dream of something like that it always gets erased by the supernatural powers of fate.

Latest posts