Recession Garden

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree. I garden because I actually like vegetables and know how to cook them. The ones I don't eat go to the ducks :D

I had some shredded zucchini I froze last fall left in the freezer. Did you know that ducklings like thawed zucchini soup? :gig

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I had some shredded zucchini I froze last fall left in the freezer. Did you know that ducklings like thawed zucchini soup? :gig
That is good to know! I used some of mine to make chocolate zucchini cake. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember my parents being unsure if they should plant fruit trees because it would take so many years for them to produce fruit. Gardening in general is a little like that. It takes some time to learn a few skills and have a few successes. After over 40 years in the same house, Dad's fruit trees have produced many crops.

I'd be in a little trouble in a garden if I ever left this general area. I spent a few years about 100 miles south on ground with a rather different soil profile. I had problems there!

The CNN article suggests getting help from someone on the block who gardens. That's sound advice. I doubt if vegetable gardeners are quite that common in most neighborhoods but someone with a few seasons of experience should really be of help in just getting the timing down if for no other reason.

It's snowing here right now . . . I'm waiting out Mother Nature and there's no hurrying her. But timing is everything and as sure as Spring follows Winter, the seeds and I will have our chance before too long. And, we will have a few successes and, hopefully, far fewer failures this season :).

Steve

edited to say: Gosh, this thread went off on a different direction in the time it took me to think of something to say !

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It costs money to save money when starting out gardening...I wouldnt want to have to pay for all the tools I have gathered over the past 40 years at 2009 prices LOL

I hope half of the recession gardeners enjoy gardening and pass it on to the next generation...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's the *umph* spirit! Pass it on!!!

This is my first year really getting into it, my first veggi garden... my first getting my hands in the dirt hard work. My back is killing me and my nails are brittle and my knuckles are killing me!!! AND I LOVE it!!!

I do all this so my daughter can have some kind of sense of control in her life later on. I'm hoping she realizes this is a way to navigate her own triumphs and failures. It's hard work with a good pay off. It doesn't always win you'll reap ALL the rewards but there is a enough to truly make you smile and give you a pride to yourself and what you do.

I hope she learns from this over the years... and I hope she continues it with her family.

As for the loving veggie thing... I've gotten her to eat spinach because she grew it, and she picked it! Mama doesn't eat red meat or pork, I eat mostly fish and some chicken.... so there are a lot of fruits and veggies in this house. Its a good 50% of our grocery bill. A garden was well thought through when the decision was made. I hope a lot of other people really think it through. I also hope everyone starting does have help... like you guys! :D

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
How do you flush the toilet when the power is out? We use buckets - but is there a better way?

I just had to ask...

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No better way I know of. You have to get some water in that holding tank some way.

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The only conflict I saw was giving Obama's credit for this trend with the new garden going in at the white house. Seed sales were up by 80% on March 1st already. I know I taught 2 gardening classes to our homeschool group in Feb., & I am getting more questions from others too. People are afraid that they will not be able to feed their families if everything tanks on us. I am hoping this is not a trend as trends come & go. More people need to make it a lifestyle choice. Although I think some people will stick with it after they discover all the wonderful flavor's they get from their home grown food versus store bought. And then you throw in the $$ saved. I love gardening for the stress relief I get too by pulling weeds, not to mention I get free food for my chickens, duck, cows & ram by pulling them by hand too.

Oh I have no problem getting water in my holding tank if the power is off. It automatically fills back up!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It automatically fills back up!!
Ah yes :woot! This is how Arizona deals with the water crisis . . . :watering

Interesting how George Ball is interviewed at Burpee for the article. There was a serious problem with income at Burpee and it went bankrupt several years ago. That was during the "recovery" from the dot.com bubble.

Steve

Latest posts