Recession Garden

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Burpee must not be getting a 25/1 return on their investment. :lol:
Sorry that was just wrong, but if you are going to inflate the numbers...

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Interesting about Burpees.

I hope they can retrench as what they used to be, a seed catalog; I was sort of raised in the religion of 'put your order in to Burpees in January' and would hate to see them disappear.

Serves them darn well right for making a bunch of dumb decisions, though, like the whole Heronswood thing, duh.

Why does everyone feel that if your business is not growing and expanding, it's bad? Nothing wrong with just *being*, if you ask me, and not walking straight off some handy cliff.

thanks for the link to the article, Steve!

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
like the whole Heronswood thing
Yep, I won't ever order from them, since they pilaged Heronswood. I know there are others who feel the same, in my neck of the woods anyway.

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
It automatically fills back up!!
Ah yes :woot! This is how Arizona deals with the water crisis . . . :watering

Interesting how George Ball is interviewed at Burpee for the article. There was a serious problem with income at Burpee and it went bankrupt several years ago. That was during the "recovery" from the dot.com bubble.

Steve
We have low flush toilets installed in all the new houses & that is all they sell here too.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:gig :gig I love the toilet flushing when power is out :lol: DigitS mine fills back up without power too :lol:

I know that gardening has been a family tradition with us for generations. I have been hopfully been instilling this into my grandkids and neices. We own a small greenhouse here and this will be our 1st offical year to be selling plants to the public. We are also helping the local county community garden projects, by starting their donated seeds for them, We have several flats of tomato, cabbage, cucumber, peppers, egg plant and melons sprouting for them now. I am in hopes more families will relize that they can be more self sufficient with some work and dirty hands. :tools
As far as Burpee I haven't bought from them in years (maybe 10 or more). I love heirloom seeds and have began to save and keep some of my own. I also buy from Baker Creek Seeds, they have some wonderful heirloom varieties. Nothing like coming full circle with a crop. :watering Just hope the growing trend Keeps Growing :thumbsup

:happy_flower Karan :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
. . . We are also helping the local county community garden projects, by starting their donated seeds for them, We have several flats of tomato, cabbage, cucumber, peppers, egg plant and melons sprouting for them now. . . . :D
Well, that's really nice :)!

Of course, the folks that could benefit the most from low-cost food are those with low incomes. Many are apartment dwellers or live on very small lots.

Community gardens can help for that population. These gardens are very common in some parts of the world.

Steve
edited for spelling

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's what I would like to see more of! Community gardens! Not only that, but churches reach out to the community and quite a many churches (especially in the south) have more land then they use. I may mention something to my neighbor the minister about issuing a plot at their church where the food can be grown by members for donations to members and/or given to members to give to families they know are in need.

I have several friends in need I know I will be supplying to this year... I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty an extra day a week knowing its going to a needy family... or at least getting the families involved.

A nice after school project for kids who have no where else to go.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was thinking about this while cleaning the horse shed this afternoon :)P) and thinking about the comment that it's not going to do people much good unless they learn a new way of cooking/eating.

I wonder whether gardening might not tend to *cause* exactly that... certainly kids seem more into eating veggies they grew themselves, just BECAUSE they grew them themselves, so I wonder whether more people might be inclined to try boiling up some string beans, or making tomato sauce, precisely because it is *their* harvest (however small) of beans or tomatoes.

Pat

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my grand neice just sent me pictures of her classrooms garden [she's in FL]

3rd graders

she said none of her kids knew you could grow your own food...and are loving it they even love the weeding...

she was my helper from when she was a toddler til she went off to Tampa State...

Latest posts