Recipe for crunchy dill pickles?

garriss

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I tried to make dill pickles a few years ago... ended up with very soft, mushy tasting pickle. Any recipes out there?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it may be as much method, as the recipe itself. The people I've spoken to, who make crisper pickles, all say that they soak them in cold water overnight first. And they don't cook the cucumbers, per se, either.

Then, from there, the recipes vary widely. Some use alum, some don't; some use a grape leaf, some don't etc.

Did you pre-soak yours? Did you cook them, or just pour hot liquid over them, then process?

I'll bet a lot of people will know the answer to this one! :)

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
garriss said:
I tried to make dill pickles a few years ago... ended up with very soft, mushy tasting pickle. Any recipes out there?
I too am hoping for some good recipes as I have the same problem, they taste ok but are soft.

Nancy

cluckychick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Select cucumbers that are about 1" in diameter, and make pickles within 24 hours of harvesting. If using fat cucumbers, slice them in half lengthwise after brining and rinsing.

Makes about 6pint jars or 2 qt. jars

7 lbs 4"-long firm fresh pickling cucumbers (about 30)
3 qts distilled water
1/2 c. pickling salt or kosher salt
3 c. distilled white vinegar
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. dill seeds
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. celery seeds
1 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
18 sprigs fresh dill

Using a soft vege brush, gently scrub the cucs to remove all dirt or sand, being careful not to scratch the peel. Rinse the cucs 2-3x in cool water, changing the water after each rinsing. Drain well. Using a sharp paring knife, remove 1/8" slice from the blossom end of each cuc. Place cucs in a large container or crock.

In 4-qt pan over medium heat, heat the distilled water until warm. Add the salt and stir until completely dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat. pour the brine over the cucumbers. Use a gallon-size water-filled zipper stroage or plate to weight down the cucs. Be sure the cucs are completely submerged in the brine and that no air pockets are trapped under the weight. Let the cucs soak 24 hrs.

Drain the cucs and rinse well. Rinse the container to remove salt. Return the cucs to the container and cover the cucs with cold water. Let soak for 20 mins. Drain the cucs again and rinse well. Return the cucs to the container again and set aside.

In an 8-qt stainless steel pan, combine the vinegar and sugar. Over med-low heat, gradually heat the mixture, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Tie the dill seeds, mustard seeds, celery seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns in a spice bag or piect of cheesecloth. Add the spice bag to the syrup. Increase the heat to med-high and bring syrup to a boil. Boil the syrup for 5 min. Remove the pan from the heat and remove the spice bag.

Pour the boiling hot syrup over the cucs. Allow the syrup to cool, then place the water filled storage bag or plate over the cucs. Be sure the cucs are completely submerged in the syrup and that no air pockets are trapped under the weight. let the cucs soak for 24 hrs.

Drain the cucs, reserving the syrup. Pack the cucs in hot pint or qt. jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Add 3 sprigs of fresh dill to each pint jar, or 6 sprigs of dill to each qt. jar.

In a stainless steel pan, heat the syrup to a full boil. Ladle the syrup into the jars, covering the cucs and maintaining the 1/2" headspace. Using a bubble freer or plastic knife, remove any air bubbles. If necessary, add mor syrup to maintain headspace. Wipe the jar rims and threads with a clean, damp cloth. Cover with hot lids and apply screw rings. Process both pint and qt. jars in a 180 to 185F (82-85C) water bath for 30 minutes.

CRUNCHY DILL PICKLES
Reference: Blue Ribbon Preserves
Author: Linda J. Amendt

Hope this helps :)

I have lots more recipes for canning if any are needed :)

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that recipe! I would be interested in any canning recipes you might have for peppers and strawberries. I am growing a variety of peppers, sweet, hot, mild, and am hoping for enough to can. The strawberries may not make it past my family to make jam but I am hoping to.
I like my pickles sour, but my husband likes the sweet like the bread and butter, so any recipe for sweet would be good. I have looked all these up online but would rather use a recipe that has been tried and true by experienced members.
Thanks a bunch! :bouquet
Natalie

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Go to WalMart and buy a copy of Ball's Blue Book Of Canning. It has about any recipe you will ever need to put up all veggies.

Latest posts