recommendations for continuous herbs

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was wondering it it was wiser to keep 1 large bush/plant for the herbs that I use more often or keep a bunch of little plants in succession?

I am starting to use more and more basil, and as my plant gets taller it starts to flower. I pinch when I see thm, but am wondering if it's just wiser to take cuttings and root and plant and do it that way, rather than the constant upkeep.

Also, with rosemary, what s the best way to keep that without it getting too big and woody?

I've been pinching my dill but the leaves are starting to turn grey. They still have lots of turgor in them and seem to be fine, no ill taste, but should I just keep a succession of plantings of those as well?

Does anyone have a lot o experience with cumin? I have some seeds and am wondering what is the best way to start and keep this, and am I going to run into the same problems I have with my basil?

My thyme had stems that flowered, but I also noticed new growth, so I think I will just leave that one alone, but how long can I expect 1 plant to keep growing back?

Appreciate the advice:watering

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
G_C, thinking about your location made me smile :). Since most of our herbs are Mediterranean, you've got it good.

Let's see, I can't allow rosemary to stay outdoors after about another 6 or 8 weeks. Rosemary is a container plant here and must be protected from the winter cold. I can get it thru the winter and then it has no problem making quite a bit of new growth each year. I just take cuttings and root new plants every couple of years.

Basil grows easily from seed at anytime that the temperature is warm. Within a few months, it is ready to flower. You can harvest, harvest, harvest from your plants but why not also have sown a little more seed and have fresh seedlings coming on? My guess is that you could do this every 2 months right thru the year. Perhaps, the winter crop can be started indoors.

Dill is a quick-growing, carefree plant. It will reseed itself but I think that you could follow the same schedule as with basil for a more constant supply. I don't know about this, the plant may be influenced by hours of daylight for triggering its bloom cycle. Oh, what am I saying? Your location is so far south, your hours of daylight don't vary much throughout the year . . . ;)

Thyme may have problems with heat, at times. I have no experience with cumin.

The dryness of your climate suggests to me that you should be conscientious about maintaining soil moisture. The perennial herbs can make good container plants because of their Mediterranean origin but your location might be pushing conditions a little too far at times.

Steve

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think I will try my hand at the rosemary rooting. My bush has been kept in a container because I did not want it to get out of control.

I've had great success at getting the basil to root and grow, too, so I never though about seedlings.

I keep my soil moist on most of the herbs, except rosemary. I do let it dry out between waterings.

Thank you for the info, it certainly helps.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our locations have something in common, G_C -- 117 West longitude.

That line passes just about thru San Diego and it is also the boundary between Washington and Idaho up here, many miles to the north.

The miles north allows us to have nearly 2 hours more daylight on the summer solstice than you have . . . for whatever that's worth.

;)

Steve