Recycled Items for Gardening Purposes

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As we don't drink alcohol, those cheap IKEA glasses became planters for re-growing scallions
P_20221217_105446.jpg

They also maximized the space utilization on the windowsill.
P_20221217_105818.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was making some sprouted feed for the hens and using the cleaned plastic trays from supermarkets as planters.
1474.jpg

1472.jpg

I will give them two trays per day - some just germinated, and some might become micro greens. I also sowed another few more portions for cats, dogs, and us - I might mix some sprouted wheat and rye berries and cook with rice.
1470.jpg

I also sowed some microgreen seeds in other trays with drainage holes at the bottom - they were originally used for berries.
1488.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Paper towels in the bottom of the containers, @Phaedra ?

Will you place the lid over the top of the microgreens?

How will you deal with their continuing need for water?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Paper towels in the bottom of the containers, @Phaedra ?

Will you place the lid over the top of the microgreens?

How will you deal with their continuing need for water?
Yes, paper towels, it's enough for them to grow till the micro-green status. I don't use lids, and they don't need so much water as seedlings.

Those packages have holes at the bottom, so when they grow bigger, I will add the water from the bottom tray.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It was recycling day in our area yesterday; I just love recycling days in the weeks following Christmas. I gleaned some sturdy elongated party trays with clear plastic lids, as well as the perfect Ferraro Rocher chocolate box in clear acrylic with a nice sturdy lid. Today I filled them with 3/4" soil blocks, using my new mini soil blocker. With this tool I am able to start 100 seeds on a 6" x 18" tray. It is shockingly efficient. Maybe it should have come with a warning, that if you lean towards type A it could be a dangerous thing to have around. I have a feeling that I am going to have to rein myself in, or I am going to be buried in seedlings.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Not garden recycling, but simply to point out that there is product packaging that can be recycled for another purpose, instead of feeding the landfill.
I have noticed that garments you buy online now come packaged in ziplock bags with a slider.
I bought a new box of SOS pads yesterday, before I ran out. These will probably last for the next 6 months, unless I get very energetic, but they store in the basement. During 1/2 of the year the basement is wet, hence a dehumidifier that empties through a hose into the adjacent shower. Humidity free packaging is a must. I am sure that I can store seeds, OR, test seeds with the same bag. It will be reused.

Attachments

• Recycled shirt bag for SOS pads, January, 2023.jpg
    Recycled shirt bag for SOS pads, January, 2023.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 45

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So far so good. Brassicas are much quicker than other peers. They are staying in the unheated greenhouse. As the weather has been mild in the past two weeks, they were germinating and growing anyway.
1721.jpg

Wheat berries also sprouted well, and I already cut some for cats/dogs. Tomorrow, the cats can enjoy some directly from the bowl.

1722.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So far so good. Brassicas are much quicker than other peers. They are staying in the unheated greenhouse. As the weather has been mild in the past two weeks, they were germinating and growing anyway.
View attachment 54453

Wheat berries also sprouted well, and I already cut some for cats/dogs. Tomorrow, the cats can enjoy some directly from the bowl.

View attachment 54454
The green shoots are so lovely to look at in winter; it kind of seems a shame to eat them.

Latest posts