Recycled Items for Gardening Purposes

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i rinse things off but i'm not about to go beyond that and that is mostly just to get off any splashed dirt or sand which i sure don't enjoy eating when it is there. otherwise, stomach acid will either take care of it or it will kill me or just pass on through.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The vinegar bath sounds smart. When I forage veggies I always give them a vodka / water rinse. I wonder how effective vinegar would be compared to vodka as far as cleaning produce? It would certainly cost less!
Vodka?? A few drops of bleach, or a dash of salt in the rinse water will kill anything that is lurking there. Then drink the vodka as a chaser. ;)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They use cell phones.
They also use GMO products, electricity (hidden behind house or barn), gas powered motors, etc. except for horses they use to go to church every other week, they buy the same food that we “English” buy. Most is for show. They also love their alcohol.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought a small box of purple sweet potatoes, and they came in this. Don't know why, but today I am in the mood of doing some hands-on practices with wood. What else can be a more cost-effective item for a newbie like me to work with?
13863.jpg

The quality is poor, unsurprisingly. I removed some staples, fixed what I can fixed, and then reinforced the structure based on my very limited experience.
13860.jpg

It has a new dress - the painting process is as healing as usual. What's past is the prologue, isn't it? I used the packaging of chicken feed and assemble a few pieces of cardboard from some tools I received today to make the liner.
13861.jpg

I also tried to use stencils to add some letters, hey, not bad at all. Let me share with you tomorrow after it's fully dried. Originally, I wanted to repurpose it as a tool box that I will put in the roofed chicken run, but who knows, maybe it could serve as a multi-functional helper!
13859.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought a small box of purple sweet potatoes, and they came in this. Don't know why, but today I am in the mood of doing some hands-on practices with wood. What else can be a more cost-effective item for a newbie like me to work with?
View attachment 61949

The quality is poor, unsurprisingly. I removed some staples, fixed what I can fixed, and then reinforced the structure based on my very limited experience.
View attachment 61951

It has a new dress - the painting process is as healing as usual. What's past is the prologue, isn't it? I used the packaging of chicken feed and assemble a few pieces of cardboard from some tools I received today to make the liner.
View attachment 61952

I also tried to use stencils to add some letters, hey, not bad at all. Let me share with you tomorrow after it's fully dried. Originally, I wanted to repurpose it as a tool box that I will put in the roofed chicken run, but who knows, maybe it could serve as a multi-functional helper!
View attachment 61954
You are so creative! I love your ideas!!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There are so many plastic packages everywhere... so, I start assembling clean ones and make them into 'insulation panels' that I can use in the hoop tunnel next winter. Well, maybe till then, the hoop tunnel will upgrade into a pallet-based greenhouse.

Regardless, the plan is to strategically fix these insulation panels to close the lower gaps, given the use of pallets in construction, while making the ones for the higher gaps removable. This way, I can balance ventilation and warmth effectively.
16281.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today, we took out one freezer (that was here for decades) and called the electric device collecting service. However, the drawers are still very robust. Have you ever recycle those drawers as planters or mini cold frames?

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today, we took out one freezer (that was here for decades) and called the electric device collecting service. However, the drawers are still very robust. Have you ever recycle those drawers as planters or mini cold frames?
I think it should work very nicely. Last summer I used sturdy white plastic-coated wire baskets to create something akin to tent frames over trays of seedlings. I would invert the baskets over the trays, and then clip row cover over top. The basket mesh was easy to clip on to, and it kept the fabric aloft so there was lots of air circulation for the plants. I got these baskets out of a recycling blue box, so while I am not certain that they are from a freezer I think they may well be. They look just like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Freezer-...E-Coating-For-Shelves/2517683015?athbdg=L1700

This year I am also hoping to use the large metal basket part of an old shopping cart to protect greens from deer. I may also try clipping row cover to the metal mesh, to use it as a little propagator for direct sown seeds. :)