Red "powder" on top of soil

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We tilled up a dead area of our garden a couple of weeks ago, and we planted some fall crops. The soil now looks like somebody ground up red bricks and sprinkled it everywhere. We picked up a chunk of dirt yesterday, and it's just on the surface. I would call it the beginning stages of moss if it weren't red and located in full sun. Could this be something growing on the surface? Or some kind of mineral deposit? We water the garden with a shallow well, and I put down some 12-12-12 fertilizer before planting the new seeds.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would guess that your soil is very rich in some mineral that makes it look red and that when it was tilled up, the surface then dried in the sun and made it look like red powder.

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How often do you water? Often enough that the soil surface stays damp?

I'd suspect it's fungus and reducing watering frequency and possibly checking and altering the soil pH might help.

drshah

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi did you find a solution to your problem? I am growing lettuce and spinach in a rectangular container and i see the exact same brick red powder when i touch the powder it is dusty and dry. Is it fungus ??? I can't tell. Can anyone suggest a solution.

I have fenugreek leaves, habenero (which got some white mildew), tomato, green onion, basil, parsley, coriander leaves growing at the same time in the same type of soil but nothing happened in other soil except the one where i am growing lettuce and spinach.

Please help what to do

Thanks

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mineral salts. Your water disolves minerals in the soil and when it evaporates the salts are left on top. Usually it's harmless, depending on which mineral it is. You can cover it with mulch and the salts will return to the soil.

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Interesting, & coincidental...I just noticed a patch of this yesterday next to the chicken coop! :/

Latest posts