Redbud trees

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The redbud trees in our front yard are about 20 years old. They are not as pretty in the spring as they use to be several years ago. The limbs are very long and hang low. During the summer we will have to trim the limbs. I was wondering if after they bloom this year if we cut them way back would it make them grow taller and fuller. Would it help the tree have more blooms.

jackie

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
http://www.treeboss.net/tree_trimming.htm

Most flowering trees set their blossoms the year before they bloom. Therefore, they won't bloom if these flower buds are trimmed off the tree. The best rule is to always trim flowering trees within 3 weeks of when they finish blooming. That should prevent you from inadvertently removing buds containing next year's flower show.

Not sure a 20 year old tree will get a lot taller but mine definitely got fuller when I did it.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wouldn't cut the limbs too far back... you need to a) keep em alive and b) still have a bunch of viable growth buds left for them to sprout new branches. Which may not be the case on older parts of branches.

In the absence of redbud-specific information I'd suggest proceeding cautiously, shorten *some* branches *somewhat* this year after they bloom and then see what happens by next year, you know? There is no "undo" for pruning <g> and it is easy to convert an overgrown but basically ok tree into a permanently disfigured or dead one.

Have fun (but not TOO MUCH fun, with that pruning saw there ;)),

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be doing my pear tree in the front this year... been waiting so I could tie the limbs but before spring hits... still haven't done that! :lol:

Latest posts